Holiday cancellation

We are due to go to tenerife In July but my partner has lost his job and also his mother is not well so we need to remain in this country for foreseeable future, altho with this current climate it may not be possible for holidays anyway 
 What rights do we have to cancelling the holiday 

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    this far out, you will likely lose deposit (if paid low deposit, you will likely need to pay the remainder of the deposit to cancel)
    The booking details you have from the company should advise what the cancellation costs would be. You could also look at the company website to see if they are offering date changes for July travel
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    It's likely to be vouchers , not cash, for a refund when they cancel your holiday . The vouchers are likely to have a long distant expiry date .

If you cancel then you are subject to the normal cancellation fees , these are on a sliding scale depending on how close to departure you are.

Your travel insurance does not cover this , neither is a section 75 from your credit card possible
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    There may be an insurance claim, many policies cover redundancy as a ground for recovery of deposit, and mother in laws illness, if not pre-existing and serious, could also be an avenue to avoid loss. This all supposes you took out insurance at the time of booking. Otherwise, if you cancel now you will lose the deposit you paid
  • I paid a low deposit of £200 with TUI for a holiday in September 2020. I must pay the rest of my deposit £600 on the 6th of April. I'm now out of work like many other people and can't pay the rest of my deposit. It's not that I don't want to pay the rest of my deposit more that I can't. I've tried to ring TUI and sat on the phone for hours but can't get through, I will try again tomorrow. If I had the money I would pay the deposit and the rest of the balance on time. Then if TUI couldn't fly us out for our holiday claim a refund. I've enough stress at the moment without worrying about paying for a holiday with money I don't have.

Thanks for any tips or advise you may give.   
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
     I'm not cancelling yet. Waiting for them to cancel unless it get very close to the time. Hopefully full refund then. 
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    We've paid the full amount for our mid June TUI holiday.
    Have just been looking at holidays for next year, might decide to just transfer our booking over to 2021.
    I'm not sure how TUI will be treating those people who can't pay the balance of the deposit (@ Tarntyke).
    Under normal circumstances they would pursue you for the balance of the deposit.

• Ibizafan
    Ibizafan Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We’ve also paid the full balance of our June holiday to Tui, and waiting to decide what to do. As we go to the same hotel in Ibiza every year (along with several friends) we might consider transferring to next year, although at the moment Tui are quoting a price that is quite a bit more expensive. If they can do us a deal for the same price as this year, we’ll probably go for it. If they don’t, which I’m fully expecting, we’ll take a refund of the full balance and take our chances at rebooking ourselves when we see an opportunity. Luckily we’re not restricted to a particular date or day of travel.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Good luck with getting a refund, it seems they are only offering vouchers now and have just taken a bailout from the German government to keep them going
  • boots_babe
    boots_babe Posts: 3,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    For those trying to contact TUI, try contacting them via Facebook. I did a few days back, and they responded in 3 or 4 days.
  • JosephK
    JosephK Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Like a lot of folk, have paid for holiday which will probably not now happen. Would happily accept a credit note to rebook next year so long as there are satisfactory answers to two queries.

1) If the company is, for any reason, eg. another airline going under, unable to provide the rearranged holiday, would they then be prepared to refund the money or would they try to insist on another credit note?
    2) If I cannot go, say because of illness, would my travel insurance refund the amount paid originally, as the new holiday was paid for by credit note?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure