Energy Bills why no discounts

eric4395
eric4395 Posts: 113 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Don't see much discussion about this, but everyone being hit one way or another, why have the government left the energy companies alone. Surely when they are demanding everyone stays at home then our bills will naturally be higher, why are they not introducing measures where everyone gets a quite considerable discount on there next few bills? 

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Because the government has no money of its own, only what it takes off us, so we'd all end up paying one way or the other.  No such thing as a free lunch.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    eric4395 said:
    Don't see much discussion about this, but everyone being hit one way or another, why have the government left the energy companies alone. Surely when they are demanding everyone stays at home then our bills will naturally be higher, why are they not introducing measures where everyone gets a quite considerable discount on there next few bills? 
    Wear a sweater and wrap up well. Sigh!  :(
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • lopsyfa
    lopsyfa Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    eric4395 said:
    But you will save more money on transport (whether due to less driving, public transport or taxi) than you will pay due to staying at home. The government has already done a lot for most people by guaranteeing to pay 80% of salary up to  £2500 and will probably announce something for the self employed soon.  
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The government initiatives are intended to help people pay their bills, so it would be illogical to also subsidise those bills.
    I work from home, so have had higher energy consumption for years, but nobody else cared about that.  But as @Gerry1 said, no travelling costs or shop-bought lunch costs,  so actually it's probably cheaper staying at home.
  • nick74
    nick74 Posts: 829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The amount my wife and I are currently saving on petrol and diesel by not driving anywhere will pay our domestic energy bills three times over. I wish I could work from home permanently, I'd save a fortune. 
  • nick74 said:
    The amount my wife and I are currently saving on petrol and diesel by not driving anywhere will pay our domestic energy bills three times over. I wish I could work from home permanently, I'd save a fortune. 

Very true! I'm still working, in the food industry but I only travel to work (10 mile journey) now so my petrol consumption has dropped by about 50%
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,090 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Think of all the other savings - no rounds at the pub, no Saturday evenings out, no holidays. Good news  if you are saving for that wedding or house purchase and either working or getting the 80% then you benefit while others suffer.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Why do they need to introduce measures which allows customers not to pay for what they use?

Next should they be forcing supermarkets to give discounts because people working from home would mean they would have to buy more food?

BEIS have made it so no one will have their energy supply cut off during this time - do there's no concern about people being left with elec or gas

Suppliers are also going to be making sure that vulnerable customers are given help if they ask for it - this could result in payments being deffered to a later date.

No point making companies offer "free elec and gas" when a lot of them are already going to be struggling anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure