»

Enforced paid membership freeze

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Enforced paid membership freeze

4 replies 151 views
OneeasygeezerOneeasygeezer Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
 I'm a paid up member at my local gym and have received an email stating "Following the Government’s decision to close all leisure facilities, we will be closed until further notice. We want to ensure that you are able to stay fit and active, which is now more important than ever. You have been transferred to our ‘Freeze’ option, which has significant benefits including:
  • Providing on-line fitness sessions to suit all ages and abilities. Classes available at any time with Fusion’s exclusive free access to ‘Les Mills On Demand’ giving you hundreds of ‘at home’ classes from the world’s leading group exercise provider. To register, click here. 
  • Guarantee of returning to full membership with all your current benefits and privileges still in place. 
  • No membership price rise before 2022 and avoiding any re-joining fees
The monthly cost of the ‘Freeze’ option is great value at just £10 per month, and only available to our valued members. If you are happy with this, you need do nothing. Otherwise, please go to the contact us  page on our website."

Surely they cannot charge members for somthing they've neither requested or have any control over.

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    27K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're allowed to offer you the choice of buying something.  If you don't want it, don't buy it.
  • D_M_ED_M_E Forumite
    3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they have shut down then they cannot offer you gym access at their premises.

If you don't like what they are offering, give them whatever notice is required in your contract and, once the notice period ends, cancel your DD to them.
    There's something on frustrated contract which would cover this.
  • 1977Chad1977Chad Forumite
    15 posts
    10 Posts
    I am also a member of Fusion, though I paid for the annual membership in one go. I am not bothered if I lose a few months membership as Fusion is a registered charity and they do a lot of good for the community.
    Fusion does state contact them if you do not want to pay.
  • Owen1986Owen1986 Forumite
    15 posts
    10 Posts Photogenic
    ok, thanks for that!