Cabot Financial - Debt Collection Company in Dublin chasing me in Northern Ireland

Options
I've just moved back to Northern Ireland after living in Dublin for many years & I have an outstanding credit card balance of nearly €3000 owed to the AIB. 

That debt has now been passed onto "Cabot Financial Ireland" A Debt Collection Company based in Dublin and I have just received a letter at my now NI address seeking full payment or to discuss options of payment.

My query is, will that affect my credit rating/score in the UK? i.e. does the Southern Irish debt carry to Northern Ireland / UK? 
You see, "Cabot Financial" operates in the UK also (most likely a UK company), so my question is - can the Dublin branch transfer my account to it's Northern Irish branch, therefore transferring my debt to the UK and report to the UK credit Bureau's? 
I found the below link from 2017 which outlines Experian’s response.

Any advice on this pressing matter I'd sure appreciate it, thanks. 

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cabot will be able to pursue the matter through the UK courts if neccessary. 
  • liver_1980
    liver_1980 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks.

will they be able to report the debt to UK credit agencies even though the debt occurred in a different jurisdiction?
  • goingnomad
    Options
    I think the answer to your question is at the bottom of your linked post. Experian stated that foreign debt cannot be reported to UK credit agencies.
  • liver_1980
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks.

Ok, but if they are able to pursue through court a CCJ will filter through to my UK credit file. I’m presuming.
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    Thanks.

Ok, but if they are able to pursue through court a CCJ will filter through to my UK credit file. I’m presuming.
    Yes. 
  • liver_1980
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks.

Worse case scenario - Cabot Ireland transfer to Cabot UK & a CCJ is triggered.

However, I have read that it will not show on my credit file if I clear the debt in full within one month of receiving the CCJ?
  • twhitehousescat
    Options
    Thanks.

Worse case scenario - Cabot Ireland transfer to Cabot UK & a CCJ is triggered.

However, I have read that it will not show on my credit file if I clear the debt in full within one month of receiving the CCJ?
    correct , or you could reduce chance of mail failure (not being notified) by paying now

if you think this is getting serious you should update the DPO of the bank of your new address , as failure may result in paperwork being sent toyour last KNOWN address 

how long ago did the "default" appear 
  • liver_1980
    First Post
    Options
    Hi,

There is no default and I don’t think there will be one. The debt is in another jurisdiction (Republic of Ireland) & from what I have been told.. debt can’t be transferred across jurisdictions.

Any knowledge around this would be greatly appreciated.

• Thrugelmir
    Options
    From a UK perspective. Receiprocal arrangements will apply. 
    https://www.gov.uk/recover-debt-from-eu
  • twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 March 2020 at 1:48AM
    Options
    Hi,

There is no default and I don’t think there will be one. The debt is in another jurisdiction (Republic of Ireland) & from what I have been told.. debt can’t be transferred across jurisdictions.

Any knowledge around this would be greatly appreciated.

i asked when you stopped paying the company , in the uk this would be called the default date , and would be very close after your last payment 
    I have not got a clue as to the lengh of time a company can chase you (take you to court) howver in england ,.wales and I think N ireland it is 6 yrs (5 for scotland) ,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure