Girlfriend temporarily laid off AFTER 80% wage announcement

My girlfriend just found out she's been temporarily laid off, despite the government's wage announcement. I feel like I know what the answer is going to be but is there anything that can be done about it?
Is there any reason anyone can think of why they've done this especically considering it's only a temporary lay off due to having to close? All I can see is that it's a pretty scummy move on their part to basically be saying "rather than keep you on our books so that the government will pay you so you can still pay your rent, we're gonna lay you off for a few months so that you get no money whatsoever despite it costing us nothing to keep you on".

Comments

• pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Despite the government announcement it is not entirely clear who will be eligible for this. 
    It is also to be paid for by the company and then claimed back, but some will simply be unable to afford this.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 March 2020 at 12:10AM
    What's the nature of her employment contract? 
    While the Government maybe underwriting wages. This doesn't address fundamental issues for the business itself. Many are not going to survive in their current form. The after affects are going to ripple on well after the crisis is over. Not going to be a case of back to normaility in 24 hours. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure