Money Moral Dilemma: Should we keep paying childcare fees during the coronavirus outbreak?

Options
124»

Comments

• redsi2
    Options
    don't pay. You are paying a proffesional for a proffesional service. No service, no pay. Caveat Venditor.

• perfect10
    perfect10 Posts: 455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No don't pay.  My daughter's nursery made it clear they do not want her son there during this time even though she is a nurse in a&e! They withdrew the provision, she had no choice, therefore no expectation to pay fees.
    Although I should be in isolation I need to look after my grandson so my daughter can do her job, I am lucky to be able to work from home with flexible hours, now working very long hours childminding and working a full time job, often 14 hours or more daily. But thats the least I can do right now.
    Entering a few comps here and there 2020 seems my best year for wins so far:- iphone xs, limited edition whiskey, Masha and the Bear toys, newborn baby stuff, 3 x books, 12 months membership to diet app, bottle of syrup, Baby Shark singing puppet, children’s book, Nasty vegan shake x 2 packs.
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    This is a real dilemma, and it's going to continue for a while. I've offered to pay my self-employed cleaner, but asked her to stay away. She told me all her 'oldies' have asked her to stay away too, but only one other has offered payment. She's waiting to hear what help she might get from the Chancellor's aid package, which should be based on her tax returns, but the poor girl lives from week to week so I'm happy to pay her usual £50 / fortnight until she starts getting help. I can afford it for now, and it's the right thing to do, she's reliable, honest, a hard worker and always cheerful and on time - she helps me when I'm sometimes in so much pain I can hardly move, so now it's my turn to help her. Others are going to have to decide for themselves, but IMO, childminders need more assistance than nurseries, as childminders, like S/E cleaners, are more 'grey area' for aid payments.
  • Mishomeister
    Mishomeister Posts: 1,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My child would still qulify to go under vulnerable children provision. Unless I was really well off I would not pay anything for nothing as it was their choiuce to close for those who still qualifies to get the childcare. Also because of the situation although I am currently fine my medium to long term financial security is not looking certain so another reason not to waste money.
    They have shut the doors one week before the end of the term so will not ask for these money back  but otherwise can not afford myself to suppoirt other businesses where my own is at risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure