Student rents during the Covid-19 crisis

Options

Comments

• sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would not pay the bills and let them sue - which will be many months away.   It's more important right now to have money available to you in the bank.  But, obviously, I am not a lawyer!
    Which could cause a lot of problems down the line. If they do.
  • squirrellodge
    Options
    There is obviously so many university students and their parents in the same position, being asked to pay for university rent when the whole summer term is being written off, students still have processions in the accommodation because they left not realising now long it would before they went back. Can this not be something that is put to government for a directive on, as the private landlords can have mortgage breaks and already charge extortionate rents for small rooms, they must be months of mortgage payments in pocket. I am getting weekly reminders to pay this terms rent but keep holding off hoping that something will be put in place to say that if you are not at the accommodation this term, you don't have to pay. 
  • sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ping that something will be put in place to say that if you are not at the accommodation this term, you don't have to pay. 

So who pays? A mortgage break is a break it still needs paying back.   

• diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,451 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    students you (on the whole not mummy and daddy) are contracted to pay rent. Dont risk a CCJ by not paying your rent if the landlord won't negotiate.  
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • gary83
    gary83 Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There is obviously so many university students and their parents in the same position, being asked to pay for university rent when the whole summer term is being written off, students still have processions in the accommodation because they left not realising now long it would before they went back. Can this not be something that is put to government for a directive on, as the private landlords can have mortgage breaks and already charge extortionate rents for small rooms, they must be months of mortgage payments in pocket. I am getting weekly reminders to pay this terms rent but keep holding off hoping that something will be put in place to say that if you are not at the accommodation this term, you don't have to pay. 
    Mortgage breaks are not free, they cost the landlord money.

why should the government direct that people that have chosen to move back in to their mum & dads house be exempt from the terms of the contract they agreed to? Do you think that anybody else who is renting a flat or house should be allowed to leave their belongings  in the property and move back home with their mum & dad and the government should direct their landlords to just forget about the rent that’s due to them? Or should that apply solely to students?

I wouldn’t keep holding out hope on the government deciding to abolish contract law on behalf of students. This is going to be one of those hard life lessons you learn at uni.

• nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    Options
    students you (on the whole not mummy and daddy) are contracted to pay rent. Dont risk a CCJ by not paying your rent if the landlord won't negotiate.  
    Dont most student rents insist on a guarantor (mum / dad normally?).  Please tread carefully (especially if its a shared property and everyone signed the dreaded joint & several term).
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • Galloglass
    Galloglass Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Please tread carefully (especially if its a shared property and everyone signed the dreaded joint & several term).

This is an excellent point and worth flagging up before I move to the next point. Here is some "official" guidance which relates to another form to temporary accommodation - holiday parks. Note the suggestion that these contracts can be void due to "frustration of contract". Students could withhold payment and be taken to court to argue the "frustration" line. I would be surprised if there are not a shedload of these cases when the time comes. However as @nyermen points out, it is a bit moot if the lease/licence is joint and several. It will just pass the problem onto others.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-covid-19-consumer-advice-holiday-caravan-owners
    • All land is owned. If you are not on yours, you are on someone else's
    • When on someone else's be it a road, a pavement, a right of way or a property there are rules. Don't assume there are none.
    • "Free parking" doesn't mean free of rules. Check the rules and if you don't like them, go elsewhere
    • All land is owned. If you are not on yours, you are on someone else's and their rules apply.
    Just visiting - back in 2025
  • Jeremy535897
    Jeremy535897 Posts: 10,444 Forumite
    Options
    Please tread carefully (especially if its a shared property and everyone signed the dreaded joint & several term).

This is an excellent point and worth flagging up before I move to the next point. Here is some "official" guidance which relates to another form to temporary accommodation - holiday parks. Note the suggestion that these contracts can be void due to "frustration of contract". Students could withhold payment and be taken to court to argue the "frustration" line. I would be surprised if there are not a shedload of these cases when the time comes. However as @nyermen points out, it is a bit moot if the lease/licence is joint and several. It will just pass the problem onto others.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-covid-19-consumer-advice-holiday-caravan-owners
    It is a Northern Ireland site, but I'm not aware of anything that would be different in England.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,084 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The difference between holiday lets and student rents:
    holiday lets-
    a) contractual agreement for short time
    b) breeches government guidelines preventing unnecessary travel
    c) holiday home owners can apply for grants from government/ unemployed support etc
    student rents:
    a) AST tenant rights and obligations
    b) student rental is the students home and they can choose to remain in the student home for the duration of their tenancy (indeed many will do so, particularly if they have jobs in their university town or difficult parental home situations)
    c) there is no help for landlords other than a mortgage holiday for 3 months that will eventually need to be repaid.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 May 2020 at 9:13AM
    Options
    Once the lockdown eases my son will need to move out from living at home. He'll be one whole lot more sociable and mobile than his oldie parents, he'll be working in his city centre office again and will negate all the care we choose to take on adjusting our own distancing.

I'm thinking, could he rent an unused Uni student apartment till the autumn term starts? It's something we'll look into as him renting a room in a shared house with 6 others doesn't make a lot of sense either in these CV-19 times. En suite bathroom if possible please for hygiene - like he had when he was last in Uni purpose built accom.

If the Unis start giving us hogwash about being unable to rent out due to the emergency tenancy rules giving tenants too much security, it'll be time to get a letter off to my local MP.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback