Confused.

Options
My partner may come under the vulnerable category and may have to go in self isolation for the twelve week period and I need to know what employers will pay. Is it the 80% of his income or is it SSP ( but he's not sick).

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's up to the employer whether they take part in the Coronavirus Job Protection Scheme.

I think there is confusion about this at the moment anyway. The Job Protection Scheme is intended to encourage employers to keep workers on the payroll (without work) rather than lay them off. The worker needing to socially distance themselves seems to me to be a completely different issue - and it is not clear that they should be treated as sick either. I am really hoping that the government will provide some clear guidance on this issue which is concerning so many.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Jeremy535897
    Jeremy535897 Posts: 10,435 Forumite
    Options
    We are in danger of having too many categories of people. You can be "highly vulnerable" and have to stay indoors for 12 weeks. You can be "vulnerable" and take extra social distancing precautions including minimising time away from home. You can be well, be ill with coronavirus on your own, be ill with coronavirus with others in the home, be self isolating to protect others in the home, highly vulnerable, vulnerable or otherwise, be a key worker, a partner of a key worker, and so on. The guidance on SSP is particularly unclear, and the posts on this forum show significant misunderstanding about the job retention scheme.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2020 at 10:36PM
    Options
    We are in danger of having too many categories of people. You can be "highly vulnerable" and have to stay indoors for 12 weeks. You can be "vulnerable" and take extra social distancing precautions including minimising time away from home. You can be well, be ill with coronavirus on your own, be ill with coronavirus with others in the home, be self isolating to protect others in the home, highly vulnerable, vulnerable or otherwise, be a key worker, a partner of a key worker, and so on. The guidance on SSP is particularly unclear, and the posts on this forum show significant misunderstanding about the job retention scheme.
    Completely agree (again). Makes it very difficult to work out who is entitled to what. ‘Shielding and protecting’ appears to be another term introduced today https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

key questions seem to be 
    • who is entitled to be treated as sick (and for how long) and therefore eligible for SSP or new style ESA?
    • If they are not treated as sick what is the position of people staying home for the next 12 weeks?
    • what is the position of people who now cannot go to work because they need to look after their children (they are neither sick nor furloughed)?
    Sure there are lots more.
    It’s very frustrating that there are now so many essentially identical threads running on this forum.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure