PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Looks like landlords are having more trouble filling rooms?

Options
coffee_prince
coffee_prince Posts: 173 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 21 March 2020 at 10:19AM in House buying, renting & selling
Up to a point. I am in the unfortunate position of having to look for a new room/houseshare to live in. It seems like every place I have visited would like to take me on as a tenant. it seems that landlords are having trouble finding tenants who they think have steady jobs. It is unusual having landlord chase me about a room, it always seemed like a landlords game, where the tenants themseves did the chasing.

Let me know your thoughts or experiences.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Here's how it's looking on a popular Facebook page for East London flatshares:
  • aestivus
    aestivus Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yep. I gave my notice on my room over a month ago. My flatmate started off being picky about my replacement, and has now suddenly realised that no one wants to move right now and is panicking. With no replacement in place, I'm obligated to pay out a full two months' notice, but once that is done... I have sympathy (well, some, anyway: she had someone who wanted the room and decided the music he listened to made him 'weird' and thus unsuitable), but so glad it's not my problem. 
  • D.L
    D.L Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Take advantage and negotiate hard! 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 22 March 2020 at 7:09PM
    Options
    aestivus said:
    I have sympathy (well, some, anyway: she had someone who wanted the room and decided the music he listened to made him 'weird' and thus unsuitable), but so glad it's not my problem. 

Gone are the glory days when London flatsharers recruiting a replacement could choose between 5 financially solid people all earnestly competing for the room, and after much deliberation would pick the one judged most likely to improve their life in some intangible way (i.e. they'd involve you in their exciting social life, or cook gourmet meals for the whole house, or one of you (ALL of you!) might get to sleep with them).     Now it's just "Won't somebody PLEASE take the room!  Oh God we need to find £600 by tomorrow!!!!!"
  • greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    aestivus said:
    Yep. I gave my notice on my room over a month ago. My flatmate started off being picky about my replacement, and has now suddenly realised that no one wants to move right now and is panicking. With no replacement in place, I'm obligated to pay out a full two months' notice, but once that is done... I have sympathy (well, some, anyway: she had someone who wanted the room and decided the music he listened to made him 'weird' and thus unsuitable), but so glad it's not my problem. 
    Do you and your flatmate have separate contracts, or are you both on the same 'joint and several' contract with the landlord? I ask because
    * if separate, your flatmate neednot worry - your flatmate just continues to pay his rent for his room, and gets to have the place to himself. Filling your vacancy is the landlord's problem.
    * if 'joint and several', and assuming you are both on a periodic (rolling) tenancy, then by serving notice, you are ending the tenancy for both joint tenants, not just for yourself. When the notice expires in 2 months, you must both leave, unless your flatmate signs a new contract, either in his sole name, or jointly with someone else. Is this what he is trying to do?
    As a warning, if no new contract is agreed by your flatmate and landlord, but you do not both leave, the LL can charge double rent......
  • aestivus
    aestivus Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    aestivus said:
    Do you and your flatmate have separate contracts, or are you both on the same 'joint and several' contract with the landlord? I ask because
    * if separate, your flatmate neednot worry - your flatmate just continues to pay his rent for his room, and gets to have the place to himself. Filling your vacancy is the landlord's problem.
    * if 'joint and several', and assuming you are both on a periodic (rolling) tenancy, then by serving notice, you are ending the tenancy for both joint tenants, not just for yourself. When the notice expires in 2 months, you must both leave, unless your flatmate signs a new contract, either in his sole name, or jointly with someone else. Is this what he is trying to do?
    As a warning, if no new contract is agreed by your flatmate and landlord, but you do not both leave, the LL can charge double rent......
    It's a contract in both names that - as it happens - completes its 12 month term at the same time as I am departing it. The flatmate intends to stay, so from what the agency has told me, there will be a new contract in her name (or with someone else, assuming she finds someone). 
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Everyone is nervous about signing a new rental contract or buying a new property. Many foreign nationals have returned home to be with family and friends at this time.
    We all need somewhere to live.
    Have a look on spareroom to see how many people are searching for a place to live in London !
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    dimbo61 said:
    Have a look on spareroom to see how many people are searching for a place to live in London !

The answer is "Not many", right?
    I don't think there are many new adverts being posted, though there will still be a lot of old ones up.
  • coffee_prince
    Options
    I've decided to stay put for another month. I have written off the holding deposit and will see how it goes. Too much hassle to be moving right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure