Holiday home booked for next week

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me, i have a holiday home booked for next week, there is 11 of us due to go but due to the COVID-19 this now can't happen as my dad has terminal cancer, i have been in touch with the company and they have offered me to re-book at a later date which isn't possible as this was something on my dad's bucket list and i not sure if he will still be with us when this is all over, i have explained this to the company and they have said if i cancel all we will get is 10% of the booking cost back. I didn't take out insurance and my credit card company have also said its not covered through them and that it should of been insured, is there anything i can do to claim the money back from the company or credit card company, if anyone has any help it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,839
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 20 March 2020 at 12:45PM
    Although I sympathise with your situation the answer is no.

As has been said in other similar threads, nothing legally prevents you from going, all the government has issued is "advice". That may change and if it does before your booking then you may have an entitlement to a refund. Otherwise it would be a gesture of goodwill by the company which they can make, or not, as they please.

The credit card would only be relevant if the Holiday company can't or won't meet their legal obligations.
  • Although I sympathise with your situation the answer is no.

As has been said in other similar threads, nothing legally prevents you from going, all the government has issued is "advice". That may change and if it does before your booking then you may have an entitlement to a refund. Otherwise it would be a gesture of goodwill by the company which they can make, or not, as they please.

The credit card would only be relevant if the Holiday company can't or won't meet their legal obligations.
    Following last night's announcement from the PM does this change the stance? 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure