Minecraft upgrade on switch

My son has Minecraft Switch Edition as a physical game.  I want to upgrade it to the Bedrock edition so that he can play with his friends while they are off school.  It's supposed to be a free upgrade but the nintendo eshop is saying it's £19.99.  

Does anyone know how to get the upgrade if you have the switch game as a cartridge rather than as a download?  Nintendo support were absolutely shockingly unhelpful to the point of rudeness.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• edited 25 March 2020 at 5:47PM
    dan958dan958 Forumite
    770 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 25 March 2020 at 5:47PM
    I don't know anything about Mincraft, but from what I am reading online, Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition never had a physical release. What game does your son actually have? Take a picture of it,
    If it is Minecraft: Story Mode, then this is a toally different game and can't be upgraded. If it is the normal Minecraft and is on Physical, it is already the 'upgraded version'

https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/8zrqnj/how_can_i_get_a_copy_of_minecraft_for_switch_pre/
  • edited 30 April 2020 at 12:34PM
    x_raphael_xxx_raphael_xx Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 30 April 2020 at 12:34PM
    I only have the Java (PC) edition that I bought years ago, I was allowed to also download the Windows 10 Bedrock version for free as I'd bought the original so long ago. To activate this I had to log into my Mojang account online.
    I'm not sure if this is the same for consoles, but possibly they will issue a code to enter? Try minecraft.net, or mojang.com
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    NSD's - 16/31 / EF Challenger #3 £2000 / £5000