Forum Home » Redundancy & Redundancy Planning

Zero hour contract, job closure due to coronavirus

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Zero hour contract, job closure due to coronavirus

3 replies 192 views
nutmeg78nutmeg78 Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi, 

My partner has a zero hour contract in a small family run business in the retail sector. Due to coronavirus, the shop has shut and as a result, my partner is no longer being paid. This has put strain on our finances (I pay the majority of the bills like rent, utlilty bills etc) and we rely on my partners income for food shopping each week. As she is not off sick but not able to work is my partner able to get any assistance? We also pay private rent, so we are unable to claim any mortgage "breaks". Also my salary is over the Universal Credit threshold we won't be entitled to that either... Where do we stand? 

I have tried to come to an arrangement with our landlord to temporarily pay less rent, but I'm not holding out any hope.

Replies