Temporary lay off

Options
Hi there,
My partner received this news today. We're in shock about how the company can do this - the temporary nature of the lay off seems to mean she won't receive ANY redundancy money at all, so I don't understand how she can get support in the next few weeks. Any advice on the contents of this letter is much, much appreciated.

Comments

• NI_BOBS
    NI_BOBS Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you get any benefit sorted for this ?  My husband has had same letter.  Does it mean we cannot claim any other benefit for now?
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    slhqoue said:
    Hi there,
    My partner received this news today. We're in shock about how the company can do this - the temporary nature of the lay off seems to mean she won't receive ANY redundancy money at all, so I don't understand how she can get support in the next few weeks. Any advice on the contents of this letter is much, much appreciated.

Whilst I sympathise with your partner's situation, I am not sure why you are "in shock about how the company can do this" given that it seems to be in line with the contract of employment.

The company has legal duty to try and survive in this incredibly difficult situation as that is ultimately in the best interests of all employees. You partner remains employed so has a right to return (assuming the company does survive). Should it not then s/he would be entitled to redundancy which is underwritten by the government.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,824 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    NI_BOBS said:
    Did you get any benefit sorted for this ?  My husband has had same letter.  Does it mean we cannot claim any other benefit for now?

I would imagine that you would be able to claim Universal Credit - that's payable even for people who are employed.
  • NI_BOBS
    Options
    Now with the announcement of 80% of wages bill being paid, it would be good to know if our employers will now back track on this , 80% would be fantastic to see us through the next few months. 
  • slhqoue
    slhqoue Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Exactly - fingers crossed there will be good news on Monday.
  • NI_BOBS
    Options
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8136993/Topshop-closes-stores-furious-employees-claim-laid-off.html
    Looks like Topshop workers not getting this money as laid off before the announcement.   Following this with interest as could affect us. 

• Cefca
    Cefca Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    NI_BOBS said:
    Now with the announcement of 80% of wages bill being paid, it would be good to know if our employers will now back track on this , 80% would be fantastic to see us through the next few months. 

My girlfriend just got laid off AFTER they announced that so make of that what you will.
  • NI_BOBS
    Options
    Is she getting her 80% Cefca ?  
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts