Forum Home » Motoring

Vauxhall Meriva bottom end...or is it?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Vauxhall Meriva bottom end...or is it?

6 replies 154 views
annabanana82annabanana82 Forumite
487 posts
Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭
Hi,  my car, 55 plate 81k miles went in for MOT this week passed with a couple of issues but nothing major. 
Yesterday I drove about 16 miles, filled with fuel, parked a shop and then tried to drive home. Started fine, then cut out on the roundabout, no jump just stopped slowly. Started again fine, drove 400m then it wouldn't accelerate and didn't slow down straightway but then stopped at another roundabout. 
We then pushed  it to a safe place, and RAC came out, it drove fine to manoeuvre it, he was going to follow us to a garage but on revving the car the engine cut out a couple of times and he towed us to the garage.
We thought it was the fuel filter, it was going in for a service next week, diagnostics came up with glow plug relay and fuel rail pressure. 
Garage called today and said it was terminal, bottom end gone, bearings and crankshaft are no good. 
But having looked  at the tell tale signs of this, we didn't have any of the warnings, yes it could be noisy but no oil problems, no problem starting. 
Am I really clutching at straws that they may have got it wrong?? 
Buying another car isn't a problem financially, but I really hate car shopping as it just feels like a massive gamble to me if you get a lemon or not. 
Any words of wisdom?

Replies

• edited 19 March at 6:42PM
    AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    30.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 March at 6:42PM
    A 55 plate Meriva is worth about a shiny button, so it's almost academic what the actual issue or cause is. Lob it.

Did the oil pressure warning light come on? When did you last check the oil level?
  • annabanana82annabanana82 Forumite
    487 posts
    ✭✭
    AdrianC said:
    A 55 plate Meriva is worth about a shiny button, so it's almost academic what the actual issue or cause is. Lob it.

Did the oil pressure warning light come on? When did you last check the oil level?
    I realise it's not worth much, it's just been fairly reliable. Oil is checked weekly and no issues there at all, other Vauxhall's I've had have got through huge amounts of oil so it's something we check regularly. No the oil light didn't come on. 
  • GangaGanga Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Normally when the crank/big end bearings go the engine is very noisy, no offence but you did put the correct fuel in the tank when you went to the petrol station, also its possible but certainly a rarity that the fuel station has mixed up the fuels in storage
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    487 posts
    ✭✭
    Ganga said:
    Normally when the crank/big end bearings go the engine is very noisy, no offence but you did put the correct fuel in the tank when you went to the petrol station, also its possible but certainly a rarity that the fuel station has mixed up the fuels in storage
    That was my husband's first thought, we checked the receipt and it was definitely diesel, the RAC chap said he'd check but not sure if this would come up on the diagnostics?? 
    The car did seem loud compared to when I drive hire cars for work, but it certainly wasn't worryingly loud. The cause just seems to have come as a surprise to everyone, my mechanic thought it was going to be the timing belt. 
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    30.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Petrol in a diesel wouldn't take the crank and bearings out. It'd just run badly then stop.

It's entirely possible that a bearing shell could "pick up" without much warning. Unusual, but possible. I presume they've dropped the sump?
    487 posts
    ✭✭
    AdrianC said:
    Petrol in a diesel wouldn't take the crank and bearings out. It'd just run badly then stop.

It's entirely possible that a bearing shell could "pick up" without much warning. Unusual, but possible. I presume they've dropped the sump?
    I don't know? I'm picking it up in the morning so I will ask a few more questions then. They've told us we'd be able to drive it the 1/2 mile home. 
    Admittedly we don't need a car immediately as I'm working from home for the foreseeable, so I don't need to rush into buying a car, it's just one those things I really stress about doing.