PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

So close to completion...this is nerve-racking!

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good luck Doozergirl. You have always been so helpful to everyone on here for years, I feel good vibes for you for next week ! Update us :) 
  • jaks101
    jaks101 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Similar situation, was supposed to be exchanging today but there’s an outstanding enquiry. Solicitor has recommended exchange and complete on same day. Nerve racking
  • aestivus
    aestivus Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Best of luck and full solidarity to everyone who is that close to completion/exchange at this point. The whole buying/selling process is stressful enough without the added uncertainties of the current situation. I'm trying to remind myself that eventually this will all be a distant memory - a good story - but it's a bit hard to get there right now!
  • Firsttimebuyer_25
    Options
    I don't get it. What's the rush? All odds point that we are headed for one of the biggest recessions of our generation. Many people who don't read the story have no idea what that means. Losing £2K- £3K Today is nothing for what is coming  next. There is no way I will sign anything in next Month or 
    You're on the wrong thread.   People here are grown ups and have their own reasons.   
    You have made my day!

I have exchanged and complete in 2 weeks.....I'm bricking it, but its the right house, at the right price and my heart and head is set......I will just drink heavily until completion to control the anxiety!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,599 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My daughter and son in law complete today.  People  still need to  move house especially if they are in a chain that has been going for a few months.  You have to look on purchasing a home as different to investing.  You still need to  live somewhere even if the economy is going through a difficult time.  It will sort itself out eventually. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • andycorleone
    andycorleone Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 March 2020 at 11:09AM
    Options
    I don't get it. What's the rush? All odds point that we are headed for one of the biggest recessions of our generation. Many people who don't read the story have no idea what that means. Losing £2K- £3K Today is nothing for what is coming  next. There is no way I will sign anything in next Month or 
    You're on the wrong thread.   People here are grown ups and have their own reasons.   
    Or maybe too worry that what they own now will drop dramatically in price in the months to come.

Please give a good reason to proceed in buying a property in this economy climate? The only beneficiaries right now are sellers, I'm afraid.  or people who enjoy gambling (and on this one there is a very low profit if for some magical reason everything improves in the next few weeks but all oods points to a lost) 

My daughter and son in law complete today.  People  still need to  move house especially if they are in a chain that has been going for a few months.  You have to look on purchasing a home as different to investing.  You still need to  live somewhere even if the economy is going through a difficult time.  It will sort itself out eventually. 

I wish and hope everything will get better too and properties prices won't be affected but reality tell us a different story.
  • TF03
    TF03 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Or maybe too worry that what they own now will drop dramatically in price in the months to come.

Please give a good reason to proceed in buying a property in this economy climate? The only beneficiaries right now are sellers, I'm afraid.  or people who enjoy gambling (and on this one there is a very low profit if for some magical reason everything improves in the next few weeks but all oods points to a lost) 
    Plenty of reasons. Those already in a chain, or just days away from completion where pulling out now would result in potentially large penalties. 
    Those who have made sensible purchases, that limits the chances of going into negative equity.
    Or those who just want to move on, get into a new property and carry on living their lives. 
    If I wasn't in the position I am, I'd certainly be waiting a few weeks and months and would advice others to do so before starting the house buying process. But as it happens, we aren't and we are very excited to get the keys to our new house next week. 

Will house prices drop due to all this. Probably. By how much. Who knows. If you could share that information with us from your crystal ball then please do. 

• annetheman
    annetheman Posts: 856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    TF03 said:

Plenty of reasons. Those already in a chain, or just days away from completion where pulling out now would result in potentially large penalties. 
    Those who have made sensible purchases, that limits the chances of going into negative equity.
    Or those who just want to move on, get into a new property and carry on living their lives. 
    If I wasn't in the position I am, I'd certainly be waiting a few weeks and months and would advice others to do so before starting the house buying process. But as it happens, we aren't and we are very excited to get the keys to our new house next week. 

Will house prices drop due to all this. Probably. By how much. Who knows. If you could share that information with us from your crystal ball then please do. 

Don't forget the lowest interest rates of all time for borrowers. If you're in a position to be accepted, that is. Your savings aren't going to be earning much for a while, why not put them towards the deposit on the home of your dreams, especially as a FTB? Or would you rather spend another £12,000 throwing money into the wind aka renting? Rent prices are highly, highly unlikely to decrease (especially if a lot of people are about to sell up or be evicted in the coming years).
    Current debt-free wannabe stats:
    Credit cards: £12,228.11 | Loans: £8,608.11 | Student Loan (Plan 1): £15,121.42 | Total: £35,957.64 
    Debt-free target: 21-Mar-2025
    Debt-free diary
  • wksd
    wksd Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We are the same, complete 26th!

I'm not too nervous as we have exchanged and can't see any issues but who knows! I am not concerned about falling property prices, we will be living in the house at least 5 years, probably 10, we'd only upsize if we had triplets or if I suddenly had a lot of money. Prices will rise and fall, I don't think that many will benefit by waiting and I hope you don't :hushed:
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have made my day!

I have exchanged and complete in 2 weeks.....I'm bricking it, but its the right house, at the right price and my heart and head is set......I will just drink heavily until completion to control the anxiety!
    I've gone the complete other way!  I'm a total
    party girl normally!  
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure