New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Redundancy - How Much Notice?

2 replies 114 views
bvj2016bvj2016 Forumite
8 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
I have been with my company for 4 years and 3 months. My notice period is 3 months....
Looking at the redundancy policy - 1 weeks pay for each completed year ie 4 weeks.
My question is - will I only get the 4 weeks redundancy pay OR do they have to pay me for the 3 months notice period too?

Replies

• Andy_LAndy_L Forumite
    11.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have to give you 3 months notice & then, at the end of that 3 months, your redundancy pay. They may offer you the 3 months salary in lieu of notice but they have no obligation to do so.
  • UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If your contract says they have to give you three months notice (check carefully as it does not have to be same length as the notice you would have to give them if you were resigning) then they must either let you work the 3 month notice period of give you pay in lieu. However statutory notice would only be four weeks which is all you would get unless your contract specifies more. Notice pay is taxable in the normal way.

Either way that is on top of the four weeks redundancy entitlement (which would be tax free).

Plus they must pay you for any unused holiday entitlement, if they don't instruct you to use it up during the notice period.