Is the Switch worth the extra money over the Switch Lite?

I want to play some pokemon over the next few weeks/months/however long we are going to have to be inside for. My question is, what exactly does the full Switch do that the Switch Lite can't, apart from plug into a TV and enable multiplayer?
Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance!

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 March 2020 at 9:39PM
    I want to play some pokemon over the next few weeks/months/however long we are going to have to be inside for. My question is, what exactly does the full Switch do that the Switch Lite can't, apart from plug into a TV and enable multiplayer?
    Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance!

How do you envisage using it ?
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    "apart from plug into a TV and enable multiplayer?"
    That's the main difference.  If you only ever envisage playing in hand-held mode, get a Lite.  It's cheaper, a bit smaller and a bit lighter.
    If you think you'll want to, even occasionally, play games on a bigger screen (4 player Mario Kart!), then get a Switch *if* you're willing to pay £80 for the privilege. 
    The switch would also let you replace the controllers if/when the joysticks start to fade - but take the additional £80 at the start at the £60 for a pair of joycons and you're most of the way towards a Lite anyway, so this isn't a strong reason.
  • Some games are not fully compatible with the Lite, for these you would need to pair a set of joycons or a Pro Controller. I went through the same decision in January and decided that the Switch would be the best option as the joycons are £70 ish a set or Pro Controller £50 so reduces the savings on buying the lite over the Switch. Also playing on the TV is really good as you get the big screen and don't have to hold the console.

Following info might be helpful.

We'll update this as-and-when new titles are released which don't support Handheld mode:

Remember, it is possible to play these games on your Lite (except Labo - see below), you'll just need a pair of Joy-Con, something to prop up your Switch Lite and exceptional vision to see what you're doing on that 5.5 inch screen. Only the latter entry on the list presents truly insurmountable problems (scroll down for more details).

There are some outliers where certain game modes aren't available without Joy-Con. The hand gesture counting activities in Dr Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch require the IR camera found in the bottom of every right-hand Joy-Con, so while the majority of the game is designed for handheld play, you won't be able to play 100% of the software's offerings.

Other games support Handheld Mode as an alternative to motion controls, but it might not be the optimal way to play; ARMS, for example, is built around having a Joy-Con in each hand even though it supports Handheld Mode. Super Mario Odyssey also has a couple of (non-essential) moves which can't be activated without motion controls, so on Switch Lite you'll need to shake your entire console to activate them (and be mindful of who's close by on public transport).

• RandomDan
    RandomDan Posts: 90
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have a Lite and only have Pokemon and Animal Crossing (which I bought today).  It really depends how you will use it.  I mainly play in bed, while travelling, or in the bath.  For these types of games I don't think being able to play it on a big TV screen adds anything.

The Lite feels better in your hands.  Using a full sized Switch after using the Lite now feels a bit cumbersome. 
  • krizmrtn86
    krizmrtn86 Posts: 29
    First Post
    Forumite
    From the sounds of it, I should go for the switch lite I think. I have a PS4 that allows me to play games on my TV and would only really be using the switch purely as a handheld device. Thanks for the solid advice guys :)
  • dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Lite definitely feels better to hold, but the ability to not connec tto a TV can be a deal breaker for some. 
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    From the sounds of it, I should go for the switch lite I think. I have a PS4 that allows me to play games on my TV and would only really be using the switch purely as a handheld device. Thanks for the solid advice guys :)
    Sounds a good choice, I bought a Switch when it came out when there wasn't a Lite option but if buying now I'd go for a Lite.  I've never used my Switch connected to the TV or with the joy-cons detached as I use it purely as a portable console and the Lite is slightly smaller and more portable.
  • SovOque
    SovOque Posts: 12
    First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hmm I actually was gonna go for the switch, but now I think Lite would be the better option for me, thx  ;)
  • artyclarty
    artyclarty Posts: 216
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I must be the only person here that has never taken their switch out of the dock! :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback