Unprofessional judgement

I have made a post about this same issue yesterday, however due to needing some meds and the doctors phone being engaged over 30 minutes I had to go to another local chemist to try an emergency supply or get any help.

Today I visited another pharmacy. There was a asian pharmacist, I spent a good 5-10 minutes discussing my situation. I explained that I had tried to ring my GP but was unable to get through. I explained both my inhalers were past their expiry date. I gave them consent to check my PMR or records. I told them I had previously been prescribed it. I gave all the information I am entitled to give as per the NHS website which I read fully.

I was denied a supply of any medication and told to ring my GP. I felt really frustrated and almost distraught.

Atfer this I visited another chemist near me and was able to get an emergency supply giving them the exact same details I had given to the three other chemists I visited in Blackburn.

In a bit of confusion I went back to the chemist in Blackburn:

I then asked the same pharmacist for her full name and registration number.

At this point the pharmacist got defensive and denied to give me her details which I am entitled to by law.

I persisted to ask for her details she still denied this. She then asked me for my name and GP name. She then said if I gave her my details she would ring the GP and 'gaurantee' a prescription and dispense it. I refused to give my details as this completely contradicted her first decision and I had already got an inhaler. She then persisted to try and help me however this was inappropriate and unprofessional, as you should not have to threaten to complain nor beg a health care professional for medication you am entitled to.  I then got her name and reg number and complained to the NHS and pharmacy authority.  In a way i feel bad and sorry for having a need to even do this, but the service is not professional and unsafe.

If the pharmacists judgement was right the first time and it was professional and not biased in any way they would not be worried if a complaint was made, nor would they change their decision. Maybe a pharmacist has the right to refuse service however I had no previous issues or complaints with any of these pharmacists.

I am now slightly suspicious of the intentions of some of the local pharmacists, it seems as though there is some hidden agenda preventing me from getting professional health care.

I have been angered, frustrated and put under unnecessary stress as well as putting my health at risk. it has also cost me an extra £9 as well as transport costs. The whole country is currently worried about the corona virus and health care professionals should be doing their best to help those at need especially if there is any chance of self isolation.

When I got the prescription the chemist then refused to deliver the medication. I was asked to visit and collect in person from the chemist which is about 5-10 minutes drive. I am not sure if this is an appropriate level of professional service.
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Replies

• Blackbeard_of_PerranporthBlackbeard_of_Perranporth Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    rafhelp said:
    I have made a post about this same issue yesterday, however due to needing some meds and the doctors phone being engaged over 30 minutes I had to go to another local chemist to try an emergency supply or get any help.

Today I visited another pharmacy. There was a asian pharmacist, I spent a good 5-10 minutes discussing my situation. I explained that I had tried to ring my GP but was unable to get through. I explained both my inhalers were past their expiry date. I gave them consent to check my PMR or records. I told them I had previously been prescribed it. I gave all the information I am entitled to give as per the NHS website which I read fully.

I was denied a supply of any medication and told to ring my GP. I felt really frustrated and almost distraught.

Atfer this I visited another chemist near me and was able to get an emergency supply giving them the exact same details I had given to the three other chemists I visited in Blackburn.

In a bit of confusion I went back to the chemist in Blackburn:

I then asked the same pharmacist for her full name and registration number.

At this point the pharmacist got defensive and denied to give me her details which I am entitled to by law.

I persisted to ask for her details she still denied this. She then asked me for my name and GP name. She then said if I gave her my details she would ring the GP and 'gaurantee' a prescription and dispense it. I refused to give my details as this completely contradicted her first decision and I had already got an inhaler. She then persisted to try and help me however this was inappropriate and unprofessional, as you should not have to threaten to complain nor beg a health care professional for medication you am entitled to.  I then got her name and reg number and complained to the NHS and pharmacy authority.  In a way i feel bad and sorry for having a need to even do this, but the service is not professional and unsafe.

If the pharmacists judgement was right the first time and it was professional and not biased in any way they would not be worried if a complaint was made, nor would they change their decision. Maybe a pharmacist has the right to refuse service however I had no previous issues or complaints with any of these pharmacists.

I am now slightly suspicious of the intentions of some of the local pharmacists, it seems as though there is some hidden agenda preventing me from getting professional health care.

I have been angered, frustrated and put under unnecessary stress as well as putting my health at risk. it has also cost me an extra £9 as well as transport costs. The whole country is currently worried about the corona virus and health care professionals should be doing their best to help those at need especially if there is any chance of self isolation.

When I got the prescription the chemist then refused to deliver the medication. I was asked to visit and collect in person from the chemist which is about 5-10 minutes drive. I am not sure if this is an appropriate level of professional service.
    For my chronic heart disease I use my local pharmacy and they deal with my repeat prescription. All I do is pop in on a Saturday morning and give him a nod, the follow week I pick up my multitude of pills, no problem. Occasionally he asks that my prescription is reviewed and I get a call from my doc or cardiologist!

PPPPPPP
  • edited 17 March 2020 at 9:22PM
    1977Chad1977Chad Forumite
    16 Posts
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 17 March 2020 at 9:22PM
    Use the online service Patient Access to order repeat medications, it saves a lot of time.
  • rafhelprafhelp Forumite
    363 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am member if that site, problem was the first time the repeat prescription was ordered it was rejected by one of the doctors
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • rafhelprafhelp Forumite
    363 Posts
    Forumite
    warby68 said:
    I suspect pharmacists have a lot of discretion as to who how and when they prescribe and are allowed to use judgement as well as professional rules and it sounds as if you were trying to bypass the usual prescription route.
    Even IF the pharmacist was mistaken, is complaining, trying to get someone in trouble and directing effort and resources in that direction the best call at present ? I value all our health workers even more than usual especially those on any kind of frontline and if they decide to bite my head off today when I ask for paracetamol ( I should have 8 per day but not on prescription due to cost) I will forgive them willingly.

Ok firstly I dont think you read the entire story, maybe read the previous thread I made which I referenced here...  I stated that i rang the GP to get a repeat prescription.  They checked and said ok come and collect it.  First mistake.  When i went to collect it they said it wasnt ready some daily.  Second mistake.  I later found out it wasnt delayed it was rejected and not signed by GP.  Third mistake.  Then when i complained and they issued the prescription they sent it to a different chemist to the one i allocated to them, which meant the would not deliver.  Fourth mistake.  3 chemists refused emergency supply on grounds of "you were last prescribed too long ago, over 6 months" - I know the pharmacy law in this case, combine this with the NHS website information and time limit is NOT a major factor in deciding to supply or / not.  Having read asthmatic forums you will find its common for most inhalers to last about a year unless they are used alot or abused.  Ive also contacted NHS and other health care professionals (senior level) and they have stated the supply should have been made.  So that is mistake 5,6 and 7.

One pharmacist said I should ring 111 and they could issues an emergency prescription which they would dispense. i could not get through on 111 waiting ages.  Spoke to repeat prescription team and they said it is not possible for 111 to issue a prescription.  So one of those two is wrong, mistake 8.

I find it hard to believe im being made to look like the one in wrong, unbelievable.

This is the problem though some people give health care professional way too much respect.  I have worked in many different health care environments in the past.  Some of them were truly incompetent, some could not even speak english well enough to converse with patients.  Some worked so slow, patients were storming out the chemist sometimes swearing.  Some chemists I have seen just sit in the back texting their girlfriends, or playing with their new state of the art phone and doing minimum checking.  Heard of several pharmacists who steal from their chemists, some murder their spouses to claim insurance money and run off to australia with their gay lover.  Some overwork putting peoples lives at risk. 
    AND NO I AM NOT STEREOTYPING, neither should you.
    I have respect for those who are genuine hard working professionals.  I know pharmacists.  I have respect for the pharmacists that have helped me in the past. 
    BUT please dont tell me you respect someone just because they are a so-called health care professional, trust me some of these really dont care about your health, they just care about the money, like lot of people.  In the same way a plumber doesnt really care about your pipes they just doing what they get paid to do.  Same way a train driver doesnt really care where you are going or for what purpose, they just doing a job.

Theres also a thing called consumer rights, pharmacy is also a business, ive always been told the customer is always right.
  • keithdckeithdc Forumite
    459 Posts
    Which 'law' requires a pharmacist to give you their name and registration number?
    "One of the legal requirements associated with the Responsible Pharmacist role is to display a notice in the pharmacy that gives the details of the Responsible Pharmacist."
    You can read more here: https://www.pharmacyregulation.org/resources/responsible-pharmacist-notice

So again its you not me thats wrong.  You could have checked this yourseflf with a simple online.  Basically you dont know what you talking about.

It might have been a good idea for you to read that before posting it!
    That requirement relates to the posting of a sign stating who the responsible pharmacist is, so:
    1) The obligation is to display a notice (not provide the information orally),
    2) The pharmacist working that day may or may not have been the responsible pharmacist (in which case no obligation to provide that information about themselves). 

BTW- think you forgot to answer my question on providing a link to the weibste that says you are entitled to a re-supply?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

British Gas prepay meter users...

...to pay less for gas from 1 April

MSE News

The 'odd Easter flavours' thread 2023

What bizarre food stuffs have you spied?

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools