RPS - Claim for statutory notice pay

I have been made redundant after the company I work for, went into compulsory liquidation.
Another company has purchased and taken over, I have received a new contract.
According to the letter I received I cannot claim redundancy pay as I have not been employed for at least 2 years.
The letter refers to claiming "statutory notice pay". The wording states as I have been re-employed:
"The RPS will subtract the wages you're earning from any statutory notice pay you're owed".
How does this work exactly? How can I work out if I am owed anything?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reggie01
    Reggie01 Posts: 31
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You can still make a claim for a protective award.
  • jam1991
    jam1991 Posts: 183
    Forumite
    Reggie01 said:
    You can still make a claim for a protective award.
    Thanks for the response, what is a protective award please?
  • Reggie01
    Reggie01 Posts: 31
    Forumite
    edited 17 March 2020 at 6:44PM

From the Gov website "A Protective Award is compensation awarded by an employment tribunal because your employer did not consult with you before you were made redundant. 

If your former employer is insolvent, the Insolvency Service will pay the Protective Award, but the amount we can pay is capped at 8 weeks pay" (×£525 per week).

There's a fair bit of info on the Gov website plus a few threads on here. Wish I had known years ago as I was  in same situation as you back in 2010 but didn't know! Another company I worked for went into administration December 2018 and some of the people (not me) were 'kept on' with new company and in same situation as you and they have all just been awarded it.

• General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,754
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    jam1991 said:
    I have been made redundant after the company I work for, went into compulsory liquidation.
    According to the letter I received I cannot claim redundancy pay as I have not been employed for at least 2 years.
    The letter refers to claiming "statutory notice pay". The wording states as I have been re-employed:
    "The RPS will subtract the wages you're earning from any statutory notice pay you're owed".
    Thanks in advance.

When did you begin working for the first company?
    When did you cease to be an employee of the first company? 
    When did the new company take over the business?
  • jam1991
    jam1991 Posts: 183
    Forumite
    jam1991 said:
    Thanks in advance.

When did you begin working for the first company?
    When did you cease to be an employee of the first company? 
    When did the new company take over the business?
    Thank you for the response,
    I began working for the company in June 2018.
    I ceased employment on 9th March 2020.
    The new company took over on the 9th March 2020, in accordance with a new offer/contract I had signed.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure