Forum Home» Motoring

New power steering fluid changed from green to bright lime green

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

New power steering fluid changed from green to bright lime green

5 replies 213 views
britishboybritishboy Forumite
3.2K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
I replaced the PS pump and belt on my Audi A4 2003 3.0 petrol v6, the mrs has driven it about 20 miles maximum this week and went to check the fluid level (just to be sure it hadnt dropped since the pump and belt change) and it was actually lime green in colour? Not the clear, dark green colour it was when we filled it, but a bright, lime green colour (think milk with lime green colouring added)

Any ideas please??

Replies

• AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    30.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had the engine just been running and the car just been used when you checked? It's entirely possible that what you're seeing is foaming from circulating through the pump.
  • britishboybritishboy Forumite
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi AdrianC, yes the engine was running when I checked it, and it was foaming/bubbling.  Are you saying when parked up it should settle again to be dark green and clear?
    30.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi AdrianC, yes the engine was running when I checked it, and it was foaming/bubbling.  Are you saying when parked up it should settle again to be dark green and clear?
    It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Have you been lock-to-lock a few times, with the engine running, to ensure it's fully bled through?
  • britishboybritishboy Forumite
    3.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes lock to lock several times with engine running, get to full lock either side then squeals like an injured cat....  Reason I'm checking as theres a small amount of green fluid leaking from it somewhere, but i cant trace where its from, and wondered why the level hasnt gone down
    30.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    get to full lock either side then squeals like an injured cat...
    Belt's slipping.