Terminating employment / redundancy

I have received a letter yesterday from my employer dated 16th March serving me with one month notice and "terminating my contract. It says how sorry they are that this has become necessary but does not mention redundancy. 

I started working at the company 26th March 2018. I know you have to have been working at a company for 2 years before being entitled to statuatory redundancy but I dont know whether the 2 years can be considered during your notice period? If not I am just 10 days short of my 2 years.

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,790
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    For calculating your length of service to see if you cross the "magic" two years, only one week's statutory notice applies. If your contract entitles you to longer notice ( perhaps a month?) they would have to pay you for the month but it doesn't get you over the redundancy / unfair dismissal threshold I'm afraid.

• General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,744
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 March 2020 at 11:35AM
    KGoepel said:
    I have received a letter yesterday from my employer dated 16th March serving me with one month notice and "terminating my contract. It says how sorry they are that this has become necessary but does not mention redundancy. 

I started working at the company 26th March 2018. I know you have to have been working at a company for 2 years before being entitled to statuatory redundancy but I dont know whether the 2 years can be considered during your notice period? If not I am just 10 days short of my 2 years.
    I don't suppose you work in Eire where the qualifying period of employment, including notice, is 104 weeks.  (Because your statutory notice would expire on 24 March and your 104 weeks of employment would be completed on Sunday 22 March.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure