Annual insurance policy runs out before holiday

Options
I have an annual travel insurance policy which expires in July, but my holiday is booked for the 1st two weeks in August. How do I ensure I am covered if the holiday is cancelled by the operator/Airlines prior to travel? I'm unsure if I can take out fresh insurance to cover the actual holiday dates, as I thought one can't have 2 insurance policies at the same time. 

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You do not need two policies,just take out a new policy starting midnight the day the other policy ends,you will be covered by policy 1 till it ends and then by policy 2 from that point.
    The only problem you may have is : -

a) Actually purchasing a policy,prices are going through the roof at this time ( not a surprise really )

b) A lot of companies have stopped selling travel insurance due to the on going situation and even if you managed to buy insurance I would be supprised if it covers anything related the the Corana virus
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Some annual travel insurers (like mine with AIG Europe) only allow the annual renewal at -30 days to the current policy running out.     I’m in a similar position to the OP with a policy renewal date of 16 April.   My holiday next week is covered but we also have another holiday commencing 9 May.  I have been told to call the insurers at the -30 day mark ( so Tuesday) to renew early but do have concerns if annual cover will still be offered. Had annual travel insurance with the same company for 24 years so will be somewhat hacked off if things change and they won’t renew for us.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Will any insurance cover a pandemic anyway? 
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Westin said:
    Some annual travel insurers (like mine with AIG Europe) only allow the annual renewal at -30 days to the current policy running out.     I’m in a similar position to the OP with a policy renewal date of 16 April.   My holiday next week is covered but we also have another holiday commencing 9 May.  I have been told to call the insurers at the -30 day mark ( so Tuesday) to renew early but do have concerns if annual cover will still be offered. Had annual travel insurance with the same company for 24 years so will be somewhat hacked off if things change and they won’t renew for us.
    Even if they will not cover the Coronavirus I hope you manage to get your insurance sorted out, ours runs out in September and I am dreading what the cost will be even if we can get insurance.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure