Coronavirus and wedding insurance: answer from Wedding Plan Insurance

edited 13 March at 7:45PM in Weddings & Anniversaries
3 replies 387 views
streetspiritstreetspirit Forumite
13 posts
Third Anniversary 10 Posts
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 13 March at 7:45PM in Weddings & Anniversaries
"At least three – John Lewis, Debenhams and Wedding Plan Insurance – have now stopped selling wedding insurance due to the coronavirus outbreak. We asked the providers whether customers would be covered in the following scenarios: 1) If public gatherings are cancelled? 2) If the venue cancels because of coronavirus? 3) If the bride or groom gets sick because of coronavirus or has to self-isolate? 4) If there's restricted travel and guests can't get to the wedding? However, neither insurer would give us a clear answer about whether existing policyholders would be covered and said instead that customers would have to get in touch to ask about their cover on an individual basis." 

Money Saving Expert asked insurers the above questions, and I have received an answer in writing from Wedding Plan Insurance that I will hold them to.
I have attached a screenshot of their response to my question of whether we would be covered due to event cancellations as a result of Coronavirus. I bought this insurance on the 3rd March 2020, and our wedding is 4th April. We are very lucky to have got in there! 

My questions to them are below:

I have two questions:

1. Do you cover the cancellation of a wedding due to the forced closure of all venues in the UK as a result of a government regulation relating to Covid-19?
  2. Do you cover a claim for a band or other wedding supplier not showing up, but NOT cancelling the wedding due to this? I.e., if a band does not turn up, and the wedding still goes ahead without the band, would we be able to make a claim for the moneys paid to this band?
    Are there any reasons the wedding service may give that you would NOT cover for, I.e. if the florist could not come due to having Covid-19, would you not cover our claim?
Hope this helps others wondering this. 

Replies

• mcc86mcc86 Forumite
    48 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I have been trying to get hold of Wedding Plan Insurance this morning as our wedding is scheduled to take place on Friday (20th).

Unfortunately I have been on hold for 50 min and when it does ring, they hung up immediately. So I'm now on hold again.
    Since the announcement from the Government yesterday afternoon, we have had over 20 guests confirm they are not attending (we had a total of 60 guests), including family members from France who are now in lock down. Because the wedding venue are not being forced to close, their policy in re to cancellation from the wedding venue itself means we find ourselves in a situation whereby we could be forced to go through with the wedding with nearly half the guests not attending. 

In your shoes, I would be inclined to try and get some confidence from the insurers that you would be able to make a claim in the event of a high percentage of guests not going to the wedding, if the wedding venue is not officially closed down. 

It's all a bit of a nightmare. You would hope the wedding venue do not insist on the wedding going ahead, against Government advice, but unfortunately the feedback we're getting from our wedding venue indicates they want to continue with 'business as usual'.

• hoth0416hoth0416 Forumite
    58 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert asked insurers the above questions, and I have received an answer in writing from Wedding Plan Insurance that I will hold them to.
    I have attached a screenshot of their response to my question of whether we would be covered due to event cancellations as a result of Coronavirus. I bought this insurance on the 3rd March 2020, and our wedding is 4th April. We are very lucky to have got in there! 
    Hi 

Wedding Plan insurance's FAQ now states the opposite to what your screenshot suggests, citing the Government Act exclusion clause as a get out.

It's interesting that in your screenshot they state that if the government initiates a lockdown, that you would still be covered. I guess they worked out they could rely on the government clause once it was enacted.

Has anyone had any experience with wedding plan in the last few weeks?
  • jamesg89jamesg89 Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hello there, just found this post as its exactly what we have experienced in coming off the phone with Weddingplan just now.
    We have on email that we are covered if COVID19 means we can't have the wedding we had planned, however, they have now changed their tune... the below pic sums up the argument - They say that due to the disclaimer on the right-hand side, we would not be covered, but obviously we took out the policy based on point 1 on the left-hand side. Any help much appreciated, I was very surprised to hear them say we are not covered, I'm hoping the written correspondence which says "In the event that the government and or local authority declared a lock down on a particular area and banned any public gatherings then this would be covered as long as the policy was purchased prior to this announcement." Any legal minds looking over this I'd be very interested to hear what you have to say. Thanks in advance.