Administering Spot on Flea treatments on cats who groom each other

Hi,
We adopted 2 rescue cats before Christmas and we are now at the point where one of them is happily going outdoors whilst the other is getting more confident by the day and won't be long before she too will be exploring the garden.
I'd like to treat them with spot-on flea treatment before it's too late but i'm a bit hesitant as they often sleep on the same bed and groom each other.  I know that flea treatment leaves a 'wet patch' on the fur for few days and surely it should not be in-digested?.  Maybe they won't lick where the stuff is as it's quite strong smelling??  Anyone have any experience?

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 13 March 2020 at 10:58AM
    They shouldn't lick much past the first try with such a strong smell and taste, but you never know!

They are generally safe if ingested, also generally  safe at a much higher strength than they are actually given. Both of those are tested for.

Reading the leaflet should reassure you in that regard.
  • Mrs_Z
    Mrs_Z Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks, I've now treated them both with the spot on and so far so good. In the meantime, I've just discovered that there is actually a flea treatment in oral suspension - Program Oral suspension - that you just mix with their food once a month.  My friend has recommended that, so will try but once I've finished the spot-on treatment that I already bought (in true MSE spirit!).  In the meantime, if anyone has used the oral suspension, I'd be interested in hearing your feedback. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure