New Post Advanced Search

Weddings coming up soon (coronavirus related)

11 replies 893 views
sarahellosarahello Forumite
8 posts
Second Anniversary
MoneySaving Newbie
Is anyone else getting married within the next couple of months? I'm getting married at the beginning of June and wondering what to do about booking photographers, make up etc. We've got the venue and food covered, and friends and family have made arrangements to be there, but need to organise everything else, at the moment thinking to hold off booking extra things and consider closer to the time what is happening with the coronavirus. There is also the not insignificant issue that wedding insurance won't cover coronavirus related issues... It's all too uncertain right now.
Obviously the most important thing is people's health, however trying to be practical right now with the wedding plans.

Replies

• edited 13 March at 10:45AM
    zx81zx81 Forumite
    29.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 March at 10:45AM
    sarahello said:
    Is anyone else getting married within the next couple of months? 
    Almost certainly.  It's a popular pastime, so much so that and many people like to do it more than once.

With regard to your own wedding though, If you can delay more expenditure for the time being, then it would be sensible to do so. Just make sure you don't leave it too late.

• streetspiritstreetspirit Forumite
    13 posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I'm getting married start of April. Got wedding insurance just before they stopped processing new claims. Fingers crossed!
  • NG0605NG0605 Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Getting married start of May, wedding in a church, reception in a hotel.  90 day guests, 120 evening guests.  

We have emerald cover insurance with Debenhams. They confirmed this will cover us if government, local authority  or venue cancel but there are lots of disclaimers/clauses.....for example not cover if public gatherings of over 50 are enforced.....Or if florist contracts disease one week before as it’s deemed sufficient time to find another supplier.  We are covered if ourselves, parents or siblings contract disease and we need to cancel.

we've already paid around £3,000 in deposits for venue, suppliers etc and in the next fortnight need to pay of the sun to suppliers which is around £10,000.

I'm getting worried about paying the final balance in case something happens which isn't covered by the insurance. But if we choose withhold or delay payment there’s a number of issues.... insurance is invalid, we loose the service of the suppliers which would cause issue if wedding goes ahead and deposits to date would be lost.  All of which would be fitting if wedding can actually go ahead as planned.

Just wondering what people’s thoughts are and if anyone is in the same position?
  • smoltysmolty Forumite
    3 posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I'm in a similar position to some of you: wedding in June, due to have paid out over £20k by end of this month and have the Diamond wedding insurance from Dreamsaver. My concern after reading the small print in the policy is that it states "You are not covered for any claim arising directly or indirectly from: government regulation or act...". There is cover however for "wedding venue or caterers or reception being unable to hold your wedding due to an outbreak of infectious or contagious disease". So at the moment there is no government regulation or Act stating that the venue has to close or not operate (i.e we are not on lock down yet) but if we were to have an act passed preventing gatherings would this apply to the policy given that the legislation was not in place at the time the insurance agreement was entered into? Also, if there are multiple contributing factors to a cancellation such as the venue goes bust because the government passed an act preventing them from operating, could the insurers claim this as an 'indirect' result of a government act or regulation. I can't help but think the insurers will do everything they possibly can to wriggle out of any claims relating to the virus. I wonder if i were to pay the remaining monies owed on my credit card whether I would have any more rights than paying out from my current account. 
  • BMLDBMLD Forumite
    5 posts
    Second Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    We're with Dreamsaver too and I tried to ask them to clarify but they directed me on to calling their claims team instead (Direct Group) and I've not heard back from them yet. @Smolty, have you had any luck with Dreamsaver and any clarification?
  • mcc86mcc86 Forumite
    48 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    BMLD said:
    We're with Dreamsaver too and I tried to ask them to clarify but they directed me on to calling their claims team instead (Direct Group) and I've not heard back from them yet. @Smolty, have you had any luck with Dreamsaver and any clarification?
    Same - the claims team (Direct Group) is who we are dealing with but we haven't had much communication from them. 
    BMLD, have you submitted your claim now? I'm guessing given the number of claims that will be submitted it could be a while before we hear anything about whether they have everything they need, let alone get a decision. 
  • BMLDBMLD Forumite
    5 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    @mcc86 I've emailed the claims team too with our question as we were told to, but still nothing back! We've not submitted our claim yet as wasn't sure if we submitted a claim but were unsuccessful, whether the policy was deemed to be 'used' and we wouldn't be able to use it in the future if we had to rearrange the wedding. Have you (or anyone else?) claimed with Dreamsaver or another wedding insurance company? If so, what did you submit to them?
  • edited 1 April at 5:40PM
    SamB713SamB713 Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 1 April at 5:40PM
    Also insured with Dreamsaver and in the exact same position. I emailed them and asked what is and isn't covered, particularly around government advice vs government regulation/act, and all I got back was screenshots of the policy wording.

They didn't say anything about asking the claims team so maybe I will try that. If anyone who has had any success in receiving a response regarding under what circumstances we are covered for cancelation/rearrangement could share their findings that would be most appreciated!
  • BMLDBMLD Forumite
    5 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Got a reply from the claims group for Dreamsaver (Direct Group). Still not entirely clear whether we can make a successful claim or not, or whether the current government rules fall under the Cancellation part of the policy that says we can claim due to closure of the venue/suppliers by the relevant authorities - I'm guessing the Government are the relevant authorities in this case?!

Another confusion is that our wedding venue say that they won't give us our deposit back and that we have to repay everything again if we want to reschedule to next year, so I'm assuming we have to claim under 'cancellation' to get our initial deposit back and then just pay out of our own money for the increased cost of next year?

FYI the last question that I asked them was if we make a claim on the policy, whether that means our policy is then invalidated going forward. But I read their response in saying that we can claim only once under cancellation/rearrangement, but we will still be covered for all the other sections of our wedding (e.g. financial failure of wedding service suppliers, wedding rings, etc.) - but I could be wrong so I'll try to get further clarification from Dreamsaver.

"The success of any claim raised is dependent to investigation and its own merit. As it stands, Our Understanding is that your Policy Wording will only provide provision for set risks outlined. In saying this, I will attempt to answer your questions as best as I can.

Should any of your suppliers cancel on you then they have an obligation to offer you a suitable remedy to non-performance of a contract. This includes  an offer to transfer deposits to a new date that is agreed between all parties or, if this isn’t possible, a full refund. It is important to note that your Policy only holds provision for Legal Expenses where negligence of a Third Party results in Your Bodily Injury or Death. However, if these deposits are considered ‘lost’ then we may be able to provide assistance.

To provide some semblance of an answer to your second question, it is important to discuss the theory behind the Wording in your Policy. Cancellation is designed to get you back to your original budget  enabling you to replan your wedding if some deposits are considered lost and Rearrangement assumes your deposits have transferred and will cover ‘additional’ charges that would inflate your original budget. If your rearrangement is due to one of the set risks outlined in your Policy, and we accept the claim, then we will be able to provide assistance for these unexpected additional costs. In addition to this, your Policy only allows claims to be raised for either Cancellation or Rearrangement, not both.

The cost of a registrar is considered a service and so, again, subject to whether we accept a claim presented, should be covered as well.

Your last question is certainly an interesting one. Our Understanding is that you are allowed one claim per Policy Section. If you need to amend your Policy to include a new date then please speak to Voyager (Dreamsaver) directly and they should be able to assist you."

• SamB713SamB713 Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    BMLD said:
    Got a reply from the claims group for Dreamsaver (Direct Group). Still not entirely clear whether we can make a successful claim or not, or whether the current government rules fall under the Cancellation part of the policy that says we can claim due to closure of the venue/suppliers by the relevant authorities - I'm guessing the Government are the relevant authorities in this case?!

Another confusion is that our wedding venue say that they won't give us our deposit back and that we have to repay everything again if we want to reschedule to next year, so I'm assuming we have to claim under 'cancellation' to get our initial deposit back and then just pay out of our own money for the increased cost of next year?

FYI the last question that I asked them was if we make a claim on the policy, whether that means our policy is then invalidated going forward. But I read their response in saying that we can claim only once under cancellation/rearrangement, but we will still be covered for all the other sections of our wedding (e.g. financial failure of wedding service suppliers, wedding rings, etc.) - but I could be wrong so I'll try to get further clarification from Dreamsaver.

"The success of any claim raised is dependent to investigation and its own merit. As it stands, Our Understanding is that your Policy Wording will only provide provision for set risks outlined. In saying this, I will attempt to answer your questions as best as I can.

Should any of your suppliers cancel on you then they have an obligation to offer you a suitable remedy to non-performance of a contract. This includes  an offer to transfer deposits to a new date that is agreed between all parties or, if this isn’t possible, a full refund. It is important to note that your Policy only holds provision for Legal Expenses where negligence of a Third Party results in Your Bodily Injury or Death. However, if these deposits are considered ‘lost’ then we may be able to provide assistance.

To provide some semblance of an answer to your second question, it is important to discuss the theory behind the Wording in your Policy. Cancellation is designed to get you back to your original budget  enabling you to replan your wedding if some deposits are considered lost and Rearrangement assumes your deposits have transferred and will cover ‘additional’ charges that would inflate your original budget. If your rearrangement is due to one of the set risks outlined in your Policy, and we accept the claim, then we will be able to provide assistance for these unexpected additional costs. In addition to this, your Policy only allows claims to be raised for either Cancellation or Rearrangement, not both.

The cost of a registrar is considered a service and so, again, subject to whether we accept a claim presented, should be covered as well.

Your last question is certainly an interesting one. Our Understanding is that you are allowed one claim per Policy Section. If you need to amend your Policy to include a new date then please speak to Voyager (Dreamsaver) directly and they should be able to assist you."

Thanks for sharing the response you received. My venue is also stating that they will not refund any payments made if they are forced to cancel due to government restrictions (and appear to have a pretty comprehensive Force Majeure clause to cover this). They are also charging the full venue hire fee again if I want to move the date, which I cannot afford to do. 

Seems my only hope of avoiding losing all the money I have paid is for the insurance to cover this, but I think they will simply point to the exemption of cover for government regulation/act, and not pay out.

I pray I am proved wrong!