Budget 2020 - MSE News

2»

Replies

• colstencolsten Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

Merging NI and income tax is logical in theory, but it opens lots of cans of worms.
    Various benefits (both State Pension, and working-age benefits) are based on NI contributions. If the combined income tax + NI applies to pensions, then they will be taxed twice on the NI element (since the original contributions only got relief for income tax). That's just off the top of my head — there are probably other issues.
    There are probably ways to deal with all these issues. But it's not easy, and could upset plenty of people (some of whom are Tories :)). So I wouldn't hold my breath.
    It's been investigated at various times and always put into back into the "too haaaaard" box. One huge issue would be NI credits, too. Another one is the grey vote - remember, people over state pension age don't pay NI. It would take a very brave Government to lumber them with a 12%ish additional tax. You'd also have to have special provisions for the transition from the old to the new system, and these would probably have to last for decades (until the last NI payer has died). Although this could probably all be solved somehow, it seems to me that it would be a massive, confusing, rather costly, change for not much benefit.
  • dazza-macdazza-mac Forumite
    330 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Can anyone please tell me if the cash isa allowance for 2020/2021 has been increased.  I've looked all over the place and can't find anything
  • MrbeethovenMrbeethoven Forumite
    60 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    dazza-mac said:
    Can anyone please tell me if the cash isa allowance for 2020/2021 has been increased.  I've looked all over the place and can't find anything
    Should have gone to Specsavers!  😀

It was answered in post no. 2 in this very thread.
  • dazza-macdazza-mac Forumite
    330 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    dazza-mac said:
    Should have gone to Specsavers!  😀

It was answered in post no. 2 in this very thread.
    Was it!  I'm terrible - can't see for looking! Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides