Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

UK Interest rate cut by 0.5% to 0.25%

edited 11 March 2020 at 7:20AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
10 replies 462 views
worldtravellerworldtraveller Forumite
14K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭✭
The Bank of England has cut the UK Interest rate by 0.5% to 0.25% this morning.

The Bank of England has announced an emergency cut in interest rates to shore up the economy in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.

Policymakers reduced rates from 0.75% to 0.25%, taking borrowing costs back down to the lowest level in history.

The Bank said it would also relax capital rules to free up billions of pounds of extra lending power.

Bank of England measures to respond to the economic shock from Covid-19

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...

Replies

• SailtheworldSailtheworld Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the good old days when people used to engage in hand wringing about low interest rates 'but people will start thinking these rates are normal' or 'but what about the mortgage shock when their fixed rate ends?'. Don't hear so much of that now.
  • JonbvnJonbvn Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been contemplating switching our tracker into a good long-term fix.
    I would like to say I saw this coming and decided not to. However, that would be a total fabrication.
    Will be interesting to see what the today's budget brings.
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
  • silvertoothsilvertooth Forumite
    240 Posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Running out of ammunition 
  • SharkMoneySharkMoney Forumite
    182 Posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    When will NatWest/Halifax etc reduce 2yr fixed rates? Will they reduce by 0.5%?

• ChopperSTChopperST Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    When will NatWest/Halifax etc reduce 2yr fixed rates? Will they reduce by 0.5%?

Only their tracker / variable rates will drop in line with the base rate cut.  Banks can offer whatever fixed rates they want.
  • BiscuiterBiscuiter Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Does this also effect personal loans? I need to change my car soon and at the moment rates are around 3%, wondering if I should hold fire if they will drop.
  • homeless9homeless9 Forumite
    310 Posts
    ✭✭
    Last week I had a fixed rate mortgage approved by Santander for a new build property.....I don't need to exchange contracts until the 6th April.....

If Santander change rates before I exchange contracts will they apply the rate change to my mortgage? or will I need to reapply to get the lower rate?
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rate on your product won’t change.
    there will be a new product.
    its up to Santander but they may let you change product.
    i changed product with first direct from a fix at 5.99% to BOE + 0.49% in 2008, it was a good move.
    even if there is a fee it might be worth your while, but it’s up to Santander how they deal with it.
  • SailtheworldSailtheworld Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    homeless9 said:
    Last week I had a fixed rate mortgage approved by Santander for a new build property.....I don't need to exchange contracts until the 6th April.....

If Santander change rates before I exchange contracts will they apply the rate change to my mortgage? or will I need to reapply to get the lower rate?
    I was in a similar situation with Nationwide. I just gave them a call and asked them to give the better rate instead which they did.
  • homeless9homeless9 Forumite
    310 Posts
    ✭✭
    homeless9 said:

I was in a similar situation with Nationwide. I just gave them a call and asked them to give the better rate instead which they did.
    cool.

I will try to get my broker to ask them to include the 0.5% drop.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides