Forum Home » Motoring

Van hire company recommendations?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Van hire company recommendations?

5 replies 92 views
dellboy102dellboy102 Forumite
575 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
Hi All
We need van hire on a Saturday and were looking at Sixt initially, I've heard certain companies have been known to invent damage and charge extortinate amounts.
Are there any companies known to be more reliable then others? in the above case their own excess waiver insurance (reduces to £150 rather then £1k) is only £10 more then 3rd party sites selling insurance so we'd probably go for that to avoid paying the excess and having to claim back.
Advice appreciated as rather pay more and not worry about getting strung afterwards,we're returning the vehicle after closing time (drop keys in a box) so will be taking before and after photos but we're still a bit concerned after seeing all the horror stories of car hire companies, advice from fellow MSE's on companies they've found decent would be appreciated :smile:

Replies

• neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    15.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a look around for local hire companies.
  • HerzlosHerzlos Forumite
    11.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take photos and video when you collect it and when you return it. Most of the 'brand' places should be alright, but I guess it'll depend on the management of that site.
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    30.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inspect the vehicle and make sure ALL damage is marked on the hire sheet, no matter how small.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Nebulous2Nebulous2 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of companies I’ve tried no longer allow out of hours drop offs, so that might restrict you. I don’t know if they have coverage where you are or not, but Arnold Clark were surprisingly good last time I hired from them, despite their reputation. Guy even gave me a tour and advised common mistakes that cost people money, including closing the wrong back door first, which means the door locking mechanism puts a dent in the door. 
  • dellboy102dellboy102 Forumite
    575 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thank you all, Sixt seem to be very few that allow out of hours drop off which we need as Sat will be a 12 hour day, we'll probably have to stick with them (and take all precations like photos etc) and see how we go, thanks for all the advice :smile: