Protect my assets before marriage

Options
My other half has said he wants to sign something to protect the substantial amount of equity I have accrued in my home.  We are due to marry soon.  The romantic side of me is hopeful to live happily ever after.  The realistic side of me knows so many marriages end in divorce.  So how do I go about financially protecting the equity I have accumulated over the years before marriage? 

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,975 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Don't get married and don't live together, is the only way.

Pre-nups are not really recognised in law in the UK.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Don’t get married if you don’t want to share your stuff.

Its not compulsory if you’d rather not.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Is this your partner/ situation? 

2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Thanks. Having witnessed people going through divorce and some that have ended up in bankruptcy I am sensibly thinking of the "what ifs" if s@#t were to hit the fan.  He has a good monthly wage but brings no other assets.  I've paid 40% of my mortgage and paid for all the external and internal upgrades before meeting my now fiance and currently pay all the bills as he is paying other commitments and clearing debts.  I am generous, as is he, but I also don't want to find myself in a situation where shortly after marriage have to sell my family home and split over £60K 50/50. 
    We'll arrange to speak with a solicitor.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks. Having witnessed people going through divorce and some that have ended up in bankruptcy I am sensibly thinking of the "what ifs" if s@#t were to hit the fan.  He has a good monthly wage but brings no other assets.  I've paid 40% of my mortgage and paid for all the external and internal upgrades before meeting my now fiance and currently pay all the bills as he is paying other commitments and clearing debts.  I am generous, as is he, but I also don't want to find myself in a situation where shortly after marriage have to sell my family home and split over £60K 50/50. 
    We have a pre nup - you'll both need to see separate solicitors for separate advice, even though you both want the same thing - a very simple thing to get wrong and then the pre-nup won't even be considered (it stands a 'chance' if you do everything correctly, but ziltch if the slightest thing is wrong). 
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Thanks. Having witnessed people going through divorce and some that have ended up in bankruptcy I am sensibly thinking of the "what ifs" if s@#t were to hit the fan.  He has a good monthly wage but brings no other assets.  I've paid 40% of my mortgage and paid for all the external and internal upgrades before meeting my now fiance and currently pay all the bills as he is paying other commitments and clearing debts.  I am generous, as is he, but I also don't want to find myself in a situation where shortly after marriage have to sell my family home and split over £60K 50/50. 
    So my question is, why do you want to get married?  Are you sure it’s right for you?
  • goodwithsaving
    goodwithsaving Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

It's not about not sharing. It's about protecting what you've worked for or inherited should it all go wrong.
    I'd share my stuff with someone, but would want my assets protected too. We buy insurance every day without batting an eyelid. This is an insurance policy.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options

It's not about not sharing. It's about protecting what you've worked for or inherited should it all go wrong.
    I'd share my stuff with someone, but would want my assets protected too. We buy insurance every day without batting an eyelid. This is an insurance policy.

But getting married is a choice, if you don’t like the terms and conditions you don’t have to do it!  
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

But getting married is a choice, if you don’t like the terms and conditions you don’t have to do it!  
    But even the "terms and conditions" acknowledge that in a short lived marriage that the two parties should be put back in the same position they were in, financially, before the marriage. If both parties agree to a prenuptial agreement then I don't see that it shows any lack of commitment - if anything it demonstrates that they've thought long and hard about what they are entering into, which is more than can be said for many who just treat it as an excuse for an elaborate celebration with no thought about the ramifications.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback