Sick leave and notice

Options
One week ago I was signed off work with my depressive disorder because I've hit a rough patch. 
Long story short, I also decided to hand in my notice. 
The first week of my notice period is comprised of one week sick leave. I have been signed off for another week so assuming all is OK, I'll have 2 weeks notice left to work. 

Can my employer request that I leave before the end of my notice period? Or can I put this forward as a suggestion.  I am not entitled to any more sick pay so I'll not be paid if I am sick but its got to the point where my health is more important so if I have no income I'll be happier than struggling at my job for the next few weeks. 

Comments

• YBR
    YBR Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes you can ask, and so could the employer. 
    Where there is mutual agreement you can do something different from the contract.
  • Rose341
    Rose341 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    YBR said:
    Where there is mutual agreement you can do something different from the contract.
    Is it best to put something formal in writing requesting amended duties and/hours or a proposal?
    Or a verbal discussion?
    I've never been in this situation before 
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,517 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If you are on good terms with management then the verbal discussion route will be fine as a start point.  If there are tensions then I would just put the suggestion in writing from the start.  In either case, you need to put it it writing at some point to ensure that everybody has the same understanding of what is being proposed.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sure why it's in your interests to leave early.
    How long have you worked there?
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rose341 said:
    YBR said:
    Is it best to put something formal in writing requesting amended duties and/hours or a proposal?
    Or a verbal discussion?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6038312/notice-period-when-signed-off-sick#latest
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nicechap said:
    Rose341 said:
    YBR said:
    Or a verbal discussion?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6038312/notice-period-when-signed-off-sick#latest
    To be fair it's a completely different question.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Rose341
    Rose341 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Masomnia said:
    Not sure why it's in your interests to leave early.
    How long have you worked there?
    Leaving early is only one option. Its all about weighing up whether it would set me back again if I actually worked those last two weeks. 
    I've worked there 3 years and on good terms with my line manager. I guess I have some time to think about it but was just seeking some advice really. 
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,328 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you might be paid during your notice even if you are off sick for it all, depends on how long your notice period is compared to the statutory minimum https://www.acas.org.uk/final-pay-when-someone-leaves-a-job/pay-during-the-notice-period

But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport