Toyota Hybrid catalytic converter theft

Options
Hi,
Last Friday, I discovered that the catalytic converter of my Toyota Auris Hybrid had been stolen while parked. I have notified the Police and acquired a Crime number and have been advised by them that the issue will not be taken any further. 
I have comprehensive insurance. My insurer, AXA, after being notified, have picked up the car and it is due to be seen by a mechanic at one of their 'approved' body shops on Monday. 
The question is if I proceed with the repair and claim from my Insurance, does anyone have any idea of how much my premiums will increase next year? 

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It'll depend entirely on your history, location, etc.

Do a mock quote with a meerkat.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2020 at 8:05PM
    Options
    The question is if I proceed with the repair and claim from my Insurance, does anyone have any idea of how much my premiums will increase next year? 
    Even if you don't proceed with the insurance claim, there is still a good possibility that now the insurers have been notified, your premium will increase anyway. They may not go up as much but in all likelihood, they will probably still rise. 
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you getting a cat lock fitted as part of the replacement work?
    Apparently there's been cases where thieves come back after the cars been repaired and nick the replacement catalytic converter.
  • Jono987
    Jono987 Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not as much as you might think. May as well do it now also as now your insurance company are aware of it your premium Wil go up anyway. A few years ago I wrote my car off, lost 2 years no claims and damaged two other cars. I accepted fault immediately and come renewal time, my premium went up from £550 to £630. I didn't think that was bad at all!
  • lopsyfa
    lopsyfa Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    Even if you cancel the claim now, you will likely still lose your no claim bonus because your insurance company will already have spend some money to get their approved body shop to pick it up etc. Except you want to refund all their expenses but I doubt the change in your insurance premiums over the next 3-5 years will be massively more than what they have already spent.
  • NoobInvestor_2
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind advice! 
    I have done some research and had a chance to speak to friends who have had their's stolen. 
    I have been given the details of the body shop (approved by the insurer). I am skeptical of the quality of their work. I know it is within the law for me to nominate a garage of my choosing to perform the repair. I would like it to be carried out by the Toyota dealership locally. However, this dealership is not on the insurer's list of 'approved' repairers. I know if I choose the non-approved repair I will have to forego on perks like a courtesy car which is included in my current policy. 
    The insurer mentioned that some forms will have to be filled in, I suppose a quote from Toyota so that the Insurer's engineering team can check whether the work can be paid for by the insurer.
    I intend to get a quote from the insurer approved workshop too. 

The question is, if I choose to go down this path, can the insurer demand a higher excess payment (my documents state that it is currently £300)?
    Secondly, the insurer has a history of insisting their garages to use non-OEM parts as they cheaper for jobs. Can the insurer refuse Toyota's quote as it is likely to based on using official Toyota parts? 
    452 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Would you take it to Toyota for a replacement exhaust back box?

The cat is only the centre part of your exhaust. 
  • NoobInvestor_2
    Options
    452 said:

No I wouldn't. 
    However, the thieves in their haste to remove the catalytic converter cut through some cables nearby. I have no idea what these cables are as the systems on hybrids are very different. Speaking to friends, apparently there is an important sensor which on occasion gets removed when the converter gets taken. 
    452 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    452 said:

No I wouldn't. 
    However, the thieves in their haste to remove the catalytic converter cut through some cables nearby. I have no idea what these cables are as the systems on hybrids are very different. Speaking to friends, apparently there is an important sensor which on occasion gets removed when the converter gets taken. 
    They cut the lambda sensor wires that's all.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whoever does it, make sure that it is a genuine Toyota catalyst. The cheap "OEM quality" ones most definitely are not, and should it not be stolen again in short order, they have a very short life compared to the genuine item.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure