A year with home Batteries (and more solar and an EV)

Solarchaser
Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 5 March 2020 at 11:45PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
I thought id make a new thread to share my experiences in the hope of giving a real world example of home batteries.

Ive had 4kw of sse panels for over 5 years.
I always had a hankering for batteries, and using a search engine i stumbled upon this forum and the discussion about home batteries.

Eventually after reading for over a year and humming and hawwing, and generally annoying myself, i though F*** it, im getting them!

In late 2018 i picked up a sofar me3000sp and 1 x 2.4kwh pylontech battery.
Both units were a year old at that point.
I then bought two more 2.4kwh pylontech batteries new so that i could use the full potential of the inverter, as each battery is capable of approx 1.25kw (25a) constant output, so to have the sofar charge and discharge at 3kw (60A) 3 batteries were required.
In the same journey to pick up the batteries, i also picked up a new growatt hybrid inverter with 4.8kwh battery and finally a new (to me) 24kwh nissan leaf.... not all at the same place.

I installed the sofar with 3 batteries at the start of Nov 18.
I installed the growatt hybrid at the start of Jan 19 to go with 6.6kw of panels on my garage roof in a 3.3kw wsw and 3.3kw ene configuration, both sides suffer from shading in the darkest 6 months, so i bought rec twin peak panels as a cost effective way of mitigating some of the shading.

I hadnt been logging my usage month to month before the sofar, noting it only every 3 months to co-incide with the FIT readings, and so to give a decent comparison to previous years, i had to wait till the start of Feb this year to have figures to compare.(november wouldnt have taken into account the solar panels)

So i think that pretty much sets the scene, the only note i have to add is that the growatt hybrid never worked properly, it would import and export when it felt like it, so ive discounted the fact it had a battery, as it was basically useless.
In May growatt took the inverter back and i bought a couple of old sma 3300 inverters to replace it.

So to the nitty gritty.
I paid:-
£750 sofar plus 1 battery
£1500 two pylontech batteries
£2500 for the growatt... which was then refunded
£1900 for 6.6kw of panels delivered
£250 for two 3300 sma inverters
£150 ish for solar cable. Isolators, crimps etc
So im around £4550 laid out at the start of last year.

Something i feel is very important for the sums to add up for batteries, is usage.
Imo if you buy less than 4Mwh a year, you are gonna struggle to justify them, but thats just my thoughts.

My usage for the past couple of years has hovered around 5200Kwh electric.
I was previously with EDF paying 13p/kwh and 25p / day standing charge coming to around £767 a year.

I moved to bulb last year, (edf were hiking prices) so paying 12.8p/kwh and 19.4p/day standing charge so should come to £739 a year.

(What i didnt realise was that i was actually paying more for my gas with bulb, and if i had just ran the same amounts, i would be paying an extra £70/year in gas, doh!!)

So with the EV, the annual mileage has doubled, as the wife loves it, never having to pay for fuel has been great, so she tells me.
The car has done 8k miles in the 16 months the vast majority charged from home.
However i did holiday in Englandshire last year which accounted for over 1k miles, and its sometimes charged elsewhere, so in the interests of better to under estimate than over, ill say around 4k miles have been charged at home, the leaf does a little under 4 miles to a kw, so i think adding 1000kw to my annual usage is about right (certainly not over estimating).

So if we assume my grid usage should now be 6200kw the cost should be ~£876 a year for electric.

So how much have i actually used from grid? 
3665kwh so £546 (inc daily charge) a saving of £330 a year. (From £4550 outlay)

So if all stays equal a just under 14 year payback.

Edited cos i forgot i had to buy replacement inverters, and i cant count😳
West central Scotland
4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage

Comments

• what are people’s thoughts on these buy your fit payments schemes . We are on the top
     rate and are already in profit with the installation costs 
  • Solarchaser
    You know sometimes you think a post will attract a good discussion, comparison of figures, interogation and theories.
    I thought this would, as theres at least half a dozen with batteries, but instead ive ended up like troll ape talking to myself in multiple posts.
    😂😂
    West central Scotland
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You know sometimes you think a post will attract a good discussion, comparison of figures, interogation and theories.
    I thought this would, as theres at least half a dozen with batteries, but instead ive ended up like troll ape talking to myself in multiple posts.
    😂😂
    New puter, who dis?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Screwdriva
    Screwdriva Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Really useful data. We have a Solaredge HD Wave 3680 inverter with 10X400W LG BiFacial panels, each with an SE Optimizer. I resisted the urge to install batteries till we purchase an EV, with the belief that batteries will continue to improve over the next few years. 
    For newer installs like mine where we lack the FIT tariff (SEG is a joke!), minimizing cost while maximizing yield seems to be the way to improve ROI these days.
    -  10 x 400w LG + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial Panels + SE 3680 HD Wave Inverter + SE Optimizers. SE London.
    -  Triple aspect. (22% ENE/ 33% SSE/ 45% WSW)
    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (the most efficient gas boiler sold)

Feel free to DM me if I can help with any energy saving!
  • mickyduck55
    mickyduck55 Posts: 655 Forumite
    😂😂
    New puter, who dis?

sorry but only had them a few weeks LOL
    3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch (£3.36 /W).
    17 Yingli 235 panels
    Sunnyboy 4000TL inverter
    Sunny Webox
    Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 200... no problems since.

13 Feb 2020 LUX AC 3600 and 3 X Pylon Tech 3.5 kW batteries added...

20 January 2024 Daikin ASHP installed
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    😂😂
    Well, you are inviting questions so here goes. 

I see you have in excess of 10 kwp and 17 kwh of storage; did you have any difficulty with getting approval from your DNO?
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • Solarchaser
    Any difficulty, no.
    Have i asked them... also no.

Maybe ill be the test case for a conviction for too much solar??
    West central Scotland
  • chamelion
    chamelion Posts: 473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ugh. I really want to join the club. Despite your posts (conversation with yourself lol) clearly articulating this is unlikely to pay for itself in any reasonable time frame. 

I've decided, for my own sanity, that if I can get a LUX 7.2kwh setup for under 3k (self fitted) I'll jump. Current price with the DC switch is about 3200-3300 shipped. 

Let's see how this works out! 
    5.41 kWp System, E-W. Installed Nov 2017
    Lux + 3 x US2000B + 2 x US3000C battery storage. Installed Mar 2020.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure