Redundancy looming

Been told today work might close. Have completed 22 years service had 2 long periods off work past 2 years through stress with nearly losing my wife and lost my mother. Will it affect my redundancy as my attendance was brilliant before that.

Comments

• blue.peter
    blue.peter Posts: 1,157
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean here - how do you fear that your attendance might affect your redundancy?

Redundancy is the situation where your job (not you personally) is no longer needed or useful. If the job still exists, you're not redundant. If it doesn't, you are. In theory, your personal attendance record doesn't affect that. (In practice, it's not quite as clear-cut as that, but that's the general idea.)

What *might* be affected is the reference that a future/prospective employer is given by your present one. However, that does depend on your present employer's practice with regard to references. (Some companies, including my own former employers, will only confirm that you were employed by them between particular dates, and won't say anything more than that.)
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,746
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The time off may affect your length of service for calculating any redundancy payment. Depends on how the time off was taken, if they are paying more than statutory redundancy & the T&Cs of that redundancy payment
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure