New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Anti Wrinkle Face Washing?

22 replies 698 views
What is the best way to wash your face without purchasing wipes or creams, i used to wash my face with a sponge until my wife claimed is might cause wrinkles so i started just splashing my face with water or dabbing softly. I would love to find one type of cloth to use for this purpose!
Enjoy everyday like it's your last!

Replies

• edited 4 March at 9:27AM
    donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 March at 9:27AM
    Nothing will stop you getting wrinkles its called natural ageing.
    Wipes are bad for the environment and not great for your face.
    Continue with a sponge or use a flannel.
    Wear SPF every day as sun damage is ageing and you will get wrinkles.
  • suejb2suejb2 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Muslin, face cloth, sometime a wife isn’t always right! Shocking I know.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • QuackQuackOopsQuackQuackOops Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Completely disagree with this........
    SPF face cream is a big marketing ploy....we most certainly do not need it in this country.

Wearing SPF creams is detrimental to overall wellbeing as it restricts the absorption of Vitamin D, which is always better in its natural form. In this country, 
    Our faces are sometimes the only surface area able to get the vitamin D.

OP...as for wrinkles.....flannels/sponges dont cause wrinkles.
    You can reduce wrinkles with a good diet.
  • donnac2558donnac2558 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    SPF face cream is a big marketing ploy....we most certainly do not need it in this country.

Wearing SPF creams is detrimental to overall wellbeing as it restricts the absorption of Vitamin D, which is always better in its natural form. In this country, 

And I completely disagree with you!   The old chestnut in this country you don't need.  You missed people getting skin cancer in the UK? Facial moles turning cancerous.   Also, the OP is talking about wrinkles on the face so wearing an SPF on the face will help.   As for Vitamin D, you get most of that from eating foods which should be part of your normal diet.    So you follow the quack doctor who makes millions from telling people to each this diet and you won't get wrinkles?  Oh, but you must also buy my very expensive face creams too.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    28.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there scientific evidence to back this up?
    Or is it just your opinion?

NHS website advises to "use at least factor 30 sunscreen".

• Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    872 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

Pollycat said:

Is there scientific evidence to back this up?
    Or is it just your opinion?

NHS website advises to "use at least factor 30 sunscreen".

Seeing how often my sister used to get sunburned when she was a teenaged because she refused to wear sunscreen was all the proof I needed to know that it must definitely is necessary in this country! I've been caught out a few times myself in the past, thinking because it was overcast that I didn't need to use it then ending up burning mildly.

It is true that it blocks the UV rays and therefore our skin cannot synthesise vitamin D, but given the choice of taking extra vitamin D supplements or vastly increasing my risk of skin cancer, I'll take the supplements please.
  • QuackQuackOopsQuackQuackOops Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vitamin D is actually a hormone...not a vitamin....and we make it in our bodies....in our skin to be precise. We need the sun to shine on our skin and our skin makes it.
    When we cover our skin, or put sunscreams on it.....we are denying our bodies this essential Vitamin.

I said we dont need SPF face cream.
    We shouldnt use SPF face cream in this country when it isnt hot..... because we need Vitamin D from the sun.
    I didnt say that when it is hot you shouldnt wear sunscreen.....that is up to the individual when they use it and for how long. However, it is recommended that some sun should be enjoyed without sunscreen for up to 30 minutes a day.

We dont get Vit D from the sun in our country much between October and March.........so we need to get plenty of exposure when we can.

Vit D from the diet is not enough....no where near enough.....and is not always the right kind

A balance needs to be found where people get enough sunlight on their skin......and not burn, which is the only reason to wear sunscreen.

• PollycatPollycat Forumite
    28.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vitamin D is actually a hormone...not a vitamin....and we make it in our bodies....in our skin to be precise. We need the sun to shine on our skin and our skin makes it.
    When we cover our skin, or put sunscreams on it.....we are denying our bodies this essential Vitamin.

I said we dont need SPF face cream.
    We shouldnt use SPF face cream in this country when it isnt hot..... because we need Vitamin D from the sun.
    I didnt say that when it is hot you shouldnt wear sunscreen.....that is up to the individual when they use it and for how long. However, it is recommended that some sun should be enjoyed without sunscreen for up to 30 minutes a day.

We dont get Vit D from the sun in our country much between October and March.........so we need to get plenty of exposure when we can.

Vit D from the diet is not enough....no where near enough.....and is not always the right kind

A balance needs to be found where people get enough sunlight on their skin......and not burn, which is the only reason to wear sunscreen.

This ^^^^ goes against everything I've read on the subject of using sun protection.
    Do you have any scientific evidence to back this up?
    Not scientific but I've found this:

YES you do need SPF every day, even in winter

Sun protection is a key part of our beauty routine in summer, but lots of us don’t bother with it as the weather gets colder. Sound familiar? Well, if you put the sun cream away with your swimsuit, you better get it out again. Turns out you can still get sun damage in winter, even when it’s grey and cloudy. Yes, we know applying sun protection can be a pain, but it’s defo worth the effort. Here’s why…

More of the article here:

https://www.superdrug.com/blog/superdrug-loves/spf-in-winter

(not a surprising answer from a company that sells SPF cream).

• TomokoAdhamiTomokoAdhami Forumite
    86 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    I agree with members sooner or later you will have wrinkles. It's natural ageing but its treatment is only surgical. I don't think natural remedies work. But yes, you can keep your face moisturised to stop it for a long time. 
  • Kim_kimKim_kim Forumite
    3.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭

You are so wrong, SPF is our biggest weapon (only real weapon) against aging.

i absolutely agree regarding vitamin D, but not on the face, get it on other parts of the body.  I do take a vitamin D supplement, my doctor thinks everyone in Northern Europe should.