Used MSE to change electric provider (2 MPAN issue)

Options
M.Sajid
M.Sajid Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 29 February 2020 at 10:36PM in Energy
Hi all,
I used MSE to change my energy supplier but due to being an Economy 7 household, only 1 MPAN was transferred to EON. Has anyone else had such an issue? I have now ended up out of pocket having to pay two suppliers. EON has said they will move the supply back to NPower and then try to take both supplies at the same time. Does anyone know who should refund me for paying 2 standing charges?

Regards,

M. 

Comments

• anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Economy 7 on its own is one mpan (supply point). This is usual and would be handled fine via a comparison site or as a request for a single switch.

It sounds like actually you have related metering if you have 2 different mpans. This isn't usual, and you wouldn't simply be able to request for one of the mpans to be transferred and for the other one to automatically transfer along with it. Both mpans would need to be requested for transfer at the same time.   Any setup involving related meters or complex metering needs special treatment.

If it was possible to request each mpan for transfer via a comparison site, both at the same time, going through for the same date, that might have worked. Or if you had requested first one via comparison site, then phoned up immediately and asked for second mpan to be also put through, that might have worked.  Or you probably should have telephoned and asked switch for both right from the start!
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 March 2020 at 3:46PM
    Options
    M.Sajid said:
    Hi all,
    I used MSE to change my energy supplier but due to being an Economy 7 household, only 1 MPAN was transferred to EON. Has anyone else had such an issue? I have now ended up out of pocket having to pay two suppliers. EON has said they will move the supply back to NPower and then try to take both supplies at the same time. Does anyone know who should refund me for paying 2 standing charges?

Regards,

M. 
    Hello M.Sajid and many thanks for your interest in joining us.
    I think anniecave has hit the nail on the head. It doesn't sound like you've an Economy 7 meter as these only have the one MPAN or supply number. It's possibly something like a 3 rate Economy 10 or Restricted Hour Tariff (RHT) meter. These have two MPANs. They're often found in all electric properties with storage heaters and water immersion heaters.
    If this is the case, it's not possible to switch through Price Comparison sites as both MPANs need to be applied for. In these cases, we usually reject the switch so the account stays with the original supplier.
    Have we sent you any bills? It would be unusual if we have as these situations tend to cause billing problems. It's more likely we'll do as you say and send the supply back to the old supplier as though it never been away. In these circumstances, we'll cancel all our charges.
    Hope this explains M.Sajid.
    Malc

Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure