HMRC Refund on PPI Payout Tax

Saga
Saga Posts: 302 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 29 February 2020 at 8:24PM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
Thankful to Martin Lewis and his show highlighting how to claim back tax paid on PPI payouts: I have received a cheque a week after filling in the form online.  The Victor Meldrew in me needs a moan though and wonders why, as HMRC no doubt have my bank account details, they couldn't just pay me electronically.  Now I have to drive 45 minutes to find a branch of my bank to queue on a Saturday morning to deposit the cheque! LOL!

---
100% debt-free!

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why would they 'no doubt' have your bank account details?
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    BoGoF said:
    Why would they 'no doubt' have your bank account details?
    This. Also, most banks allow you to pay in cheques remotely via their apps. You just take a photo of the cheque in app and bob’s your aunt’s live-in lover.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • Saga said:
    Thankful to Martin Lewis and his show highlighting how to claim back tax paid on PPI payouts: I have received a cheque a week after filling in the form online.  The Victor Meldrew in me needs a moan though and wonders why, as HMRC no doubt have my bank account details, they couldn't just pay me electronically.  Now I have to drive 45 minutes to find a branch of my bank to queue on a Saturday morning to deposit the cheque! LOL!

Unless it is in connection with Self Assessment HMRC don't send tax refunds direct to your bank account.

If you have overpaid they usually send you a calculation showing the tax overpaid and give you the opportunity to go onto gov.uk and provide your own bank account details so the money is in your account a few days later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure