coronavirus and personal pensions

Options

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Long term markets have always recovered from whatever global crisis is top of the agenda at any particular time. 
    Simply not true.
    I am happy to be proved wrong ,so when did they not recover ?
    Japan
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Japan

OK fair enough , but I think in general markets do eventually shrug off most crisis long term , otherwise why all the advice given about investing long term ?

• Username999
    Options
    Long term markets have always recovered from whatever global crisis is top of the agenda at any particular time. 
    Simply not true.
    Greece
    Italy
    Japan
    The crash of 1637
    (the crash of 2021)   :)
    One person caring about another represents life's greatest value.
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    Japan

OK fair enough , but I think in general markets do eventually shrug off most crisis long term , otherwise why all the advice given about investing long term ?

Bulk of return comes from dividend and income reinvestment not capital growth. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Simply not true.
    Greece
    Italy
    Japan
    The crash of 1637
    (the crash of 2021)   :)
    Or Russia in 1917.

However global markets always recover. That’s why you don’t invest in just one country 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Japan

Average annual return for SP500 since 1920s is circa 11%. Corrected for inflation real return gives you 7%.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Thrugelmir said:
    In recent decades, not really any more than half of the total return has been from dividends.
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    Japan

Average annual return for SP500 since 1920s is circa 11%. Corrected for inflation real return gives you 7%.
    S&P 500 didn't exist in the 1920's. Only consisted of 90 companies until 1957. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 March 2020 at 4:53PM
    Options
    Japan

S&P 500 didn't exist in the 1920's. Only consisted of 90 companies until 1957. 
    Founded as Composite Index in 1926. Starting with 90 companies.  Expanded and renamed in 1957. The point isn’t the name or number of companies, but the claim that returns equal dividends does not hold water, unless you look at very specific time spans.  In fact, Graham gives you a formula for estimating returns which directly contradicts this claim
  • vulcanrtb
    vulcanrtb Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has anyone considered temporarily reallocating their pension to 100% cash until things improve? I'm near retirement and this is bothering me just a bit!
    Obviously there's a risk that I'll save on some losses but will in all likelihood mistime the reinvestment into equities.
    Thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport