coronavirus and personal pensions

How long is a piece of string question . But what impact is this going to have on a personal private pension in short and long term ?

Replies

• MordkoMordko Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Username999Username999 Forumite
    536 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Twice as long as half it's length.
    One person caring about another represents life's greatest value.
  • PrismPrism Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Likely no effect at all
  • AlbermarleAlbermarle Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the last week your pension pot will have gone down a few per cent . Maybe it will go down some per cent in the next couple of months, or maybe not .
    Long term markets have always recovered from whatever global crisis is top of the agenda at any particular time. 
  • LintonLinton Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the long term there will (hopefully) be no effect.  I say "hopefully" because for coronavirus to have a long term effect on the world economy and hence global share prices it would have to wipe out a significant % of the world population with no vaccine or cure available.  In those circumstances perhaps your personal pension wont be the top of your priorities.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    82.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    How long is a piece of string question . But what impact is this going to have on a personal private pension in short and long term ?
    Depends on your personal plans. 
    It's not whether you're right or wrong that's important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." — George Soros
  • Username999Username999 Forumite
    536 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Long term markets have always recovered from whatever global crisis is top of the agenda at any particular time. 
    Simply not true.
    One person caring about another represents life's greatest value.
  • ratechaserratechaser Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Lots. Or none. Or somewhere in between.
  • AlbermarleAlbermarle Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Simply not true.
    I am happy to be proved wrong ,so when did they not recover ?
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    But what impact is this going to have on a personal private pension
    If you mean personal pension then no impact whatsoever.  A personal pension is just a tax wrapper that contains your investments.  It is not impacted by investment returns.  it is the investment you hold within the pension that are impacted by events.
    There are close to 30,000 investment options from the whole of market and another 50,000 odd legacy options if you include old fashioned plans no longer available for business.     each will react differently.

However, as far as long term goes, the current events have no impact at all on expectations.   

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides