Lock for conservatory door

Options
We need a new lock for our conservatory - the cheap, unamed replacement that we had fitted 3 years ago appears to be failing (the key often turns - doing nothing)
Screwfix have lots of them - we want a named brand - such as Yale
Is the (x mm) in brackets - the depth of the door/ length of barrel ?
What is the "split size" and "number of pins" ?
I assume that we want to get the largest number of pins that we can afford ?
The chap who fitted the last one took 5 minutes to fit it - so I assume that it is a simple job ?

Comments

• societys_child
    Options
    I'd go for Avocet ABS (plenty online/ ebay/ etc)
    - - - - -
    How to measure:

Remember that one side of an ABS lock is dedicated external and the other internal, so great care must be taken to ensure you note which measurement is which.

Avocet ABS locks are clearly marked 'EXT' on the external side for easy fitting.

The easiest way to measure your old euro cylinder lock is to remove it from your door, taking note which end is external.

*example: internal measurement: Measure from the internal side to the centre of the screw hole. lets say it's 40mm

*example External: Measure from the external side to the centre of the screw hole. lets say that's 50mm

The cylinder size you would need to order in this example is 40mm Int / 50mm Ext

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 February 2020 at 5:17PM
    Options
    - - - - -
    How to measure:

Remember that one side of an ABS lock is dedicated external and the other internal, so great care must be taken to ensure you note which measurement is which.

Avocet ABS locks are clearly marked 'EXT' on the external side for easy fitting.

The easiest way to measure your old euro cylinder lock is to remove it from your door, taking note which end is external.

*example: internal measurement: Measure from the internal side to the centre of the screw hole. lets say it's 40mm

*example External: Measure from the external side to the centre of the screw hole. lets say that's 50mm

The cylinder size you would need to order in this example is 40mm Int / 50mm Ext

Avocet are £50 - which is OTT !
    I am happy with Yale at around £20 - 6 pin !
    So the split size - if the barrel is 90mm long and the "catch" is in the middle - I need a 45/45 ?
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    50Twuncle said:
    - - - - -
    How to measure:

Avocet are £50 - which is OTT !
    I am happy with Yale at around £20 - 6 pin !
    So the split size - if the barrel is 90mm long and the "catch" is in the middle - I need a 45/45 ?
    Yes, this is correct - it might be worth looking for a better lock whilst you're at it - I recently got 2x Kendrick 3 star rated locks brand new on ebay for less than £30. I'd look for at least a 1 star rated
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 March 2020 at 10:10AM
    Options
    Abs locks are £38/ £39 online, not £50, and are the ones recommended by police crime provention etc.
    A small price considering what the contents of your house are worth.
    Eurolocks can be bought from around £5, is it worth the risk . . ?
    1 star? Any scrote can defeat them in seconds. You need 3 star.

• societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    Options
    You don't measure to the catch, measure to the center of the screw hole. Almost every seller has instructions and there are step by step instructions on youtube.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    Does the number of pins mean - increased number of combinations ?
    If so - how many pins is adequate - we are not talking crown jewels !
    The door is an outside conservatory door !
  • Swasterix
    Swasterix Posts: 337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    50Twuncle said:
    Does the number of pins mean - increased number of combinations ?
    If so - how many pins is adequate - we are not talking crown jewels !
    The door is an outside conservatory door !
    Maybe not, but it would take somebody a matter of seconds to snap your lock and gain entry to your property. It’s a no brainier for the sake of and extra £20-£30 for the ABS lock. Will likely last longer too. 
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    Options
    If the key turns and does nothing, it's quite possible that the issue isnt with the cylinder, but with the actual locking mechanism itself
  • 50Twuncle
    edited 1 March 2020 at 12:51PM
    Options
    mwarby said:
    If the key turns and does nothing, it's quite possible that the issue isnt with the cylinder, but with the actual locking mechanism itself

I don't think that it is the mechanism - it only does it occasionally and a squirt of WD40 into the cylinder normal frees it up !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure