lost return - who should chase this up?

SystemSystem Forumite
177.9K Posts
10,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭✭
This discussion was created from comments split from: Royal mail item lost my item sent.

Replies

• ianh777ianh777 Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    i31/2 months ago i sold an item on ebay buyer wanted to return i agreed and paid the postage buyer uploaded a tracking item no show week later 48hrs tracking buyer made clain paypal 3 weeks later i won case as buyer didnt chase up the return now is stating he taking me court as ive not refunded  tracking shows item still in post office from day 1 has no movement in the system...just pop..
    who is responsible to chase royal mail?
  • edited 28 February 2020 at 8:04AM
    custardycustardy Forumite
    38K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2020 at 8:04AM
    ianh777 said:
    i31/2 months ago i sold an item on ebay buyer wanted to return i agreed and paid the postage buyer uploaded a tracking item no show week later 48hrs tracking buyer made clain paypal 3 weeks later i won case as buyer didnt chase up the return now is stating he taking me court as ive not refunded  tracking shows item still in post office from day 1 has no movement in the system...just pop..
    You need to tell your buyer to claim from RM.
    They are pretty much wasting their time with court
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have moved this question to its own thread as the other thread was a little old and this new question might get overlooked.

I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • dj1471dj1471 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭
    You say you paid for the return postage, in which case you must refund the buyer and claim from Royal Mail for the loss.
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_headthe_lunatic_is_in_my_head Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's not enough information to answer really.

OP are you acting as a business or private seller?
    What was the reason for the return?
    Did you buy the label and send it, send funds to cover the return or give a label via eBay's return flow, etc?
    What was the service? RM Tracked or RM48 standard (with signed for added)?  
    What was the item?
    Did the buyer say they are taking you to court, send a letter before action or did they file already and you have received official documents for the process?
  • shaun_from_Africashaun_from_Africa Forumite
    12.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dj1471 said:
    You say you paid for the return postage, in which case you must refund the buyer and claim from Royal Mail for the loss.
    Possibly, possibly not.
    If the OP simply sent the buyer the money for the postage and the buyer then used that money to send the item, it is the buyer that has the contract with RM and it is them that must claim.
    If however, the OP purchased the postage online and sent the buyer a link to enable them to print out the postage label, the OP has the contract and should claim.

• theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As has been pointed out, there is not enough information for anyone to give a valid response.  The question on whether the op is a business or private seller is the most pertinent.  Hopefully the OP will return. 
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    18.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ianh777 said:
    If YOU paid return postage then YOU need to  refund buyer then claim from RM.

Have you chased up RM? Probably a bit late now...
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals