New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Previous Pension, New Employer.

4 replies 122 views
AlibeeAlibeeAlibeeAlibee Forumite
12 posts
Photogenic
MoneySaving Newbie
Please could i get some clarification. I know pension rules are more flexible in current times.
I have been auto-enrolled into new employers pension with royal london. 
My previous employers pension was with true potential. I know, if i want i can transfer this pension into royal london.
What I want to know is - am i able to arrange for my new employer to use the true potential pension instead of royal london?

Replies

• JoeCrystalJoeCrystal Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    AlibeeAlibee, I would suggest that you post this on main pension forum since hardly anyone go into this forum. To answer your question, ask the pension administrator, only they can answer your questions. As for the new employer paying into your old pension scheme, why should they as it will cause them the administrative hassle and they have to meet the auto-enrollment provision by using their scheme.
  • edited 28 February at 1:42PM
    Paul_HerringPaul_Herring Forumite
    7.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 February at 1:42PM
    Please could i get some clarification. I know pension rules are more flexible in current times.
    I have been auto-enrolled into new employers pension with royal london. 
    My previous employers pension was with true potential. I know, if i want i can transfer this pension into royal london.
    What I want to know is - am i able to arrange for my new employer to use the true potential pension instead of royal london?
    That will be a question for your employer, but the answer is likely to be no.
    The reason being it's less admin for employers to deal with just one pension company, rather than 100* pension companies (or however many employees they have**.)

You may, on the other hand, be able to do partial transfers from Royal London to True Potential, if you want to keep the latter. Whether this is an option will depend on Royal London, however.

Alternatively, if you're not bothered about keeping the True Potential one, you can probably do a full transfer of that into Royal London.

==
    * An exaggeration.
    ** Also an exaggeration.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • penners324penners324 Forumite
    591 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Also companies have to prove to the Pension Regulation Authority that the scheme they use is auto enrollment approved so can't pay to another pension company.
  • LHW99LHW99 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probably worth comparing charges on the two before you decide