Credit cards for Attorneys with LPAs

in Credit cards
19 replies 434 views
sallypoosallypoo Forumite
11 Posts
Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of this.  I am an Attorney for a relative whom is housebound and lives alone some distance from me.  We have recently got the Finance LPA in place and are now keen to get ourselves set up so that we can order food etc so that she is able remain in her own home.  We wish to do this in a transparent manner.  ie so it is clear whom is purchasing what (not just logging in with her details).
I have hit a roadblock.  Her existing bank will not allow me to apply for a credit card against her account.  They will only allow my near 90 year old housebound relative to do so, which as you can imagine isn't possible.  I doubt she would make it through the security questions without me being with her...
I then tried appling for a credit card with my credit card provider and again they said my relative would need to do this.  To add to the complications she has NO photo ID, and we have no way of getting her somewhere where she could have her photo take to apply for a passport or driving licence.  So she wouldn't get through the security process here either.
I am beginning to feel like we have spent near £2k of her money on LPAs which have proved to be useless!
How are others buying food, incontinence pads etc online for those they have LPAs for?  Halifax bank has advised me to use a debit card for all her online purchases. They were happy to provide me with a debit card directly linked to my relative's account, which of course provides less online security.  Although initially they told me I couldn't have my own log-in details for the online banking (they advised I log in as my relative!)
I just can't believe that is what everyone else is doing? ie buying online with debit cards....
Thanks

Replies

• sallypoo said:

I just can't believe that is what everyone else is doing? ie buying online with debit cards....

I would expect that to be the norm, as expenditure is then limited to the person's own funds, rather than potentially thousands of borrowed spending.

You need to make use of her existing facilities, rather than apply for new credit for her.
  • lr1277lr1277 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I tend to agree with zx81's post.
    Reason I am posting is that I would review all your relative's financial affairs, especially in light of the bank closures over the last few years.
    My dad has some limited mobility and a form of dementia. So my mum and I conduct his finances (with his approval). We have LPA's but have not yet registered them with the banks.
    The other day my mum and I moved some money. The sending bank smelled fraud so they asked us to contact them, which we did. However when they asked the security questions, we prompted my dad. The bank operative heard this prompting and said he could not do anything and put a block on the debit card. He advised us to go to branch with ID to get the account unblocked.
    Now due to bank closures, we have to travel 50 miles to a branch. There are a few branches closer, but parking is difficult and there are no blue badge parking bays near the branch.
    Until 2 years ago, there used to be a branch in the next town over but as you can guess, this got closed 2 years ago.
    So I would urge you to get the LPA's registered with the bank and building societies and also review which accounts you would like to keep based on the closeness of the branch.
  • 2e0arr2e0arr Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    are you an attorney ? are you in the uk ?

• eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    24.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    2e0arr said:
    are you an attorney ? are you in the uk ?
    Is that a lame failed attempt at humour, or just ignorance?
  • sallypoosallypoo Forumite
    11 Posts
    Thanks all.  
    The LPA IS registered with my relative's bank.  Still no option for any form of credit only the risky debit card for all online purchases.

Yes as stated I am an attorney
    Yes I am in the UK.

There are no facilities that I can see on offer from Halifax, ZX81 - what were you thinking should be on offer?  So far they have offered a debit card, and told me to log-in as the account holder (I did point out this is fraud) at that point they offered me a unique log-in!
  • Not on offer.  Her EXISTING facilities. Bank accounts etc.
  • sallypoosallypoo Forumite
    11 Posts
    sallypoo said:

You need to make use of her existing facilities, rather than apply for new credit for her.
    What facilities would you be referring to please?  I genuinely don't know what you suggesting.  Thanks
  • VortigernVortigern Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @sallypoo I'm in a similar position. LPA registered with Halifax, who allow me online access to my elderly relative's accounts, a cheque book and a debit card for purchases. It's not a problem.

• northwalesdnorthwalesd Forumite
    903 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    sallypoo said:
    Still no option for any form of credit only the risky debit card for all online purchases.
    What do you find so 'risky' about a debit card?
  • born_againborn_again Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    >> How are others buying food, incontinence pads etc online for those they have LPAs for?  Halifax bank has advised me to use a debit card for all her online purchases. They were happy to provide me with a debit card directly linked to my relative's account, which of course provides less online security. <<

In what  way is a debit card less secure than a credit card?
    They both have 16 digits, they both have CVV and they both can go though VbV or Mastercard secure? They are both linked to a account. Banks deal with Credit & Debit card fraud in exactly the same way.
    Life in the slow lane
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals