Not on ESa but have to attend a board?

Options
My sister in law got a letter requesting that she attend a "board" regarding ESA.  But although she is unemployed and "sick" she does not receive any payment and did not qualify for ESA.
She does however get low rate PIP. She contacted ESA to ask why she had to attend the interview and they said it was because they were paying her National Insurance. Is this the case?  What would happen if she didnt go? Can she pay NI herself?
I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 February 2020 at 3:56PM
    Options
    CEON44 said:
    My sister in law got a letter requesting that she attend a "board" regarding ESA.  But although she is unemployed and "sick" she does not receive any payment and did not qualify for ESA.
    She does however get low rate PIP. She contacted ESA to ask why she had to attend the interview and they said it was because they were paying her National Insurance. Is this the case?  What would happen if she didnt go? Can she pay NI herself?
    Attend a "board"?  if you mean a work capability assessment or a work focused interview then yes she will still need to attend because the same rules apply when you're receiving NI credits as they do if you're receiving payments.

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    She could potentially pay the NI herself, but surely attending one interview or assessment is a small price to pay for the Government ensuring NI is covered towards the eventual State Pension.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    edited 27 February 2020 at 5:16PM
    Options
    If she chose to make voluntary Class 3 NI contributions these would cost her £15/week.
    Obviously if she has already got entitlement to a full State Pension she may not wish to continue getting credits but otherwise it would seem foolish not to go. The worst that can happen is that she is refused ongoing credits.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • CEON44
    CEON44 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the answers. On the face of it going to the interview shouldnt normally be an issue but her illness is mental health related and she doesnt leave home. 
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    If she can get her GP to confirm that she cannot attend an assessment she may be able to get a home visit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure