New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Gourmet Society card

9 replies 192 views
Giantdaz74Giantdaz74 Forumite
16 posts
10 Posts First Anniversary
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi, just after some advice please. I took out a trial 3 month membership with Gourmet society and after 2 months i had an email saying if i didn't want to continue i had to cancel otherwise it would auto subscribe, as i'd only used it twice in that time i decided it wasn't worth keeping so while i was on a break in Dublin i phoned the number on the email to cancel it which i presumed had done the job only to then receive another email a few weeks later telling me my subscription had been renewed and i'd been charged £34.99 for the pleasure !.
I emailed them explaining that i'd cancelled it already and they basically called me a liar and said they couldn't find a 'footprint' of my cancellation via the phone number i'd given and as i'd cleared my phone's log in the month previous to ringing them i couldn't 'prove' i'd called them and they won't be refunding me but will cancel the auto subscription for next year !!!.
I sent another email complaining about this and threatening to take it further to get my money back to which i was offered a 'reduced subscription' of £29.99 meaning they would refund me £5 !!.
Can anyone advise me on what to do here as i am damned if i'm letting £34.99 go for something i don't want and don't intend using, it's basically my word against there's that i cancelled it and as i can't prove it am i up poo creek without a paddle so to speak?
Thanks for any help

Replies

• edited 27 February at 9:47PM
    DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    38.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 February at 9:47PM
    Hi, just after some advice please. I took out a trial 3 month membership with Gourmet society and after 2 months i had an email saying if i didn't want to continue i had to cancel otherwise it would auto subscribe, as i'd only used it twice in that time i decided it wasn't worth keeping so while i was on a break in Dublin i phoned the number on the email to cancel it which i presumed had done the job only to then receive another email a few weeks later telling me my subscription had been renewed and i'd been charged £34.99 for the pleasure !.
    I emailed them explaining that i'd cancelled it already and they basically called me a liar and said they couldn't find a 'footprint' of my cancellation via the phone number i'd given and as i'd cleared my phone's log in the month previous to ringing them i couldn't 'prove' i'd called them and they won't be refunding me but will cancel the auto subscription for next year !!!.
    I sent another email complaining about this and threatening to take it further to get my money back to which i was offered a 'reduced subscription' of £29.99 meaning they would refund me £5 !!.
    Can anyone advise me on what to do here as i am damned if i'm letting £34.99 go for something i don't want and don't intend using, it's basically my word against there's that i cancelled it and as i can't prove it am i up poo creek without a paddle so to speak?
    Thanks for any help
    I cant see how you can get a refund since you have no proof of it.
    Should have googled how to cancel as its gives a second option.

• Giantdaz74Giantdaz74 Forumite
    16 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    But i did cancel, i know i did it and they are saying i didn't, they can't prove i didn't either so how is that seen as fair?
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    38.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But i did cancel, i know i did it and they are saying i didn't, they can't prove i didn't either so how is that seen as fair?
    I wasn't questioning if you cancelled.
    I take it you have checked your emails to see if you received a confirmation of you cancelling ?
    16 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie

I take it you have checked your emails to see if you received a confirmation of you cancelling ?
    Yep, 1st thing i did when i got the renewal notification as i knew i'd cancelled and couldn't believed i'd been charged, last email i had was the one informing me my free trial was ending, it was that that reminded me to cancel.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    38.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, 1st thing i did when i got the renewal notification as i knew i'd cancelled and couldn't believed i'd been charged, last email i had was the one informing me my free trial was ending, it was that that reminded me to cancel.
    You spoken to GS again ?
    16 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    They and paypal have both basically told me it's tough !!!!!!!
  • boots_babeboots_babe Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't you just get your outbound call log from your phone bill? That will prove that you did call them.

16 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Can't you just get your outbound call log from your phone bill? That will prove that you did call them.
    No cos i deleted it all, wasn't planning on having this problem 3 weeks later so hadn't thought to save them.
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you ask your phone provider for a duplicate statement?