Gourmet Society card

Options
Hi, just after some advice please. I took out a trial 3 month membership with Gourmet society and after 2 months i had an email saying if i didn't want to continue i had to cancel otherwise it would auto subscribe, as i'd only used it twice in that time i decided it wasn't worth keeping so while i was on a break in Dublin i phoned the number on the email to cancel it which i presumed had done the job only to then receive another email a few weeks later telling me my subscription had been renewed and i'd been charged £34.99 for the pleasure !.
I emailed them explaining that i'd cancelled it already and they basically called me a liar and said they couldn't find a 'footprint' of my cancellation via the phone number i'd given and as i'd cleared my phone's log in the month previous to ringing them i couldn't 'prove' i'd called them and they won't be refunding me but will cancel the auto subscription for next year !!!.
I sent another email complaining about this and threatening to take it further to get my money back to which i was offered a 'reduced subscription' of £29.99 meaning they would refund me £5 !!.
Can anyone advise me on what to do here as i am damned if i'm letting £34.99 go for something i don't want and don't intend using, it's basically my word against there's that i cancelled it and as i can't prove it am i up poo creek without a paddle so to speak?
Thanks for any help

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 February 2020 at 9:47PM
    Options
    Hi, just after some advice please. I took out a trial 3 month membership with Gourmet society and after 2 months i had an email saying if i didn't want to continue i had to cancel otherwise it would auto subscribe, as i'd only used it twice in that time i decided it wasn't worth keeping so while i was on a break in Dublin i phoned the number on the email to cancel it which i presumed had done the job only to then receive another email a few weeks later telling me my subscription had been renewed and i'd been charged £34.99 for the pleasure !.
    I emailed them explaining that i'd cancelled it already and they basically called me a liar and said they couldn't find a 'footprint' of my cancellation via the phone number i'd given and as i'd cleared my phone's log in the month previous to ringing them i couldn't 'prove' i'd called them and they won't be refunding me but will cancel the auto subscription for next year !!!.
    I sent another email complaining about this and threatening to take it further to get my money back to which i was offered a 'reduced subscription' of £29.99 meaning they would refund me £5 !!.
    Can anyone advise me on what to do here as i am damned if i'm letting £34.99 go for something i don't want and don't intend using, it's basically my word against there's that i cancelled it and as i can't prove it am i up poo creek without a paddle so to speak?
    Thanks for any help
    I cant see how you can get a refund since you have no proof of it.
    Should have googled how to cancel as its gives a second option.

• Giantdaz74
    Giantdaz74 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    But i did cancel, i know i did it and they are saying i didn't, they can't prove i didn't either so how is that seen as fair?
  • DCFC79
    Options
    But i did cancel, i know i did it and they are saying i didn't, they can't prove i didn't either so how is that seen as fair?
    I wasn't questioning if you cancelled.
    I take it you have checked your emails to see if you received a confirmation of you cancelling ?
  • Giantdaz74
    Options

I take it you have checked your emails to see if you received a confirmation of you cancelling ?
    Yep, 1st thing i did when i got the renewal notification as i knew i'd cancelled and couldn't believed i'd been charged, last email i had was the one informing me my free trial was ending, it was that that reminded me to cancel.
  • DCFC79
    Options

Yep, 1st thing i did when i got the renewal notification as i knew i'd cancelled and couldn't believed i'd been charged, last email i had was the one informing me my free trial was ending, it was that that reminded me to cancel.
    You spoken to GS again ?
  • Giantdaz74
    Options
    They and paypal have both basically told me it's tough !!!!!!!
  • boots_babe
    boots_babe Posts: 3,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can't you just get your outbound call log from your phone bill? That will prove that you did call them.
  • Giantdaz74
    Options
    Can't you just get your outbound call log from your phone bill? That will prove that you did call them.
    No cos i deleted it all, wasn't planning on having this problem 3 weeks later so hadn't thought to save them.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,624 Forumite
    Options
    Can you ask your phone provider for a duplicate statement?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure