»

Full time - work from home eBayer jorney!

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Full time - work from home eBayer jorney!

20 replies 1.2K views
AzzzaaAzzzaa Forumite
346 posts
Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
✭✭
Hi all, it feels strange to be back on here after a long break :smiley: 

I have been in my current job for 7 years, It's unique position I hold, I am employed as a personal assistant for my severely disabled brother, I love my job supporting people however working alongside my mum and dad/other family members has over the past year become more and more challenging, a new relationship and financial issues made it more difficult as the boundaries between employee and family member became blurred. Since I was 18 ( I am now 26) I have considered myself a 'part time' reseller, I sell everything and anything on eBay. I love reselling and I am very passionate about it, to the point where every night I go sleep thinking about how nice it will be once I become a 'full time' reseller.

So here it is, I want to document my transition between leaving my full time position as a personal assistant to a full time, self employed business owner. 

My financial issues have all been sorted, my relationship is steady and to preserve my relationship with my family, this must be done.

I have a small mortgage on a nice studio flat in Essex which I pay £400pm on, and my total bills come in at £800, I budget myself  £100pcw on daily stuff (food, fuel, luxuries and going out) which means I need to ensure I bring in £1,200 profit per month.
 I am very fortunate to have very close connections allowing me to get stock very cheap, so sourcing stock is not an issue. 

I will be documenting my highs, lows, struggles and accomplishments while also talking about my financial mindset and how I have adjusted my lifestyle to allow me to do this job :)
Documenting my journey from full time support worker to full time eBay reseller :)

Replies

• LomastLomast Forumite
    472 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I wish you all the best but as I cannot see a question in your post it should probably be on a different section, maybe moneysavers arms

• nicechapnicechap Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or maybe the dedicated Ebay forum:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/ebay-auctions-car-boot-jumble-sales
    Where help can be found on problems with postage, suppliers, buyers, PayPal, facebook marketplace, gumtree, tax, returns, scams etc etc.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • pickledonionspaceraiderpickledonionspaceraider Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic.

Your post is in the perfect place - I do  not know what the above are talking about

Should be a great read - will look forward to seeing more, OP - well done
    With love, POSR <3
  • KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic.

Your post is in the perfect place - I do  not know what the above are talking about

This is for employment questions, not diaries about employment.
  • Takeaway_AddictTakeaway_Addict Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic.

This is for employment questions, not diaries about employment.
    Where does it say this board is for Employment questions?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly even if it did or didn't I wouldn't be able to find it on this new forum, but anyway, it seems more suited to a more discussion based board. I don't see why we need a load of threads of people telling us about their work day and how they're getting on working towards their bonus target each day in a diary format. You may well be right, there may be no 'rule' against people posting their employment diaries on here, but it truly does not seem to fit the nature of the board.
  • Takeaway_AddictTakeaway_Addict Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly even if it did or didn't I wouldn't be able to find it on this new forum, but anyway, it seems more suited to a more discussion based board. I don't see why we need a load of threads of people telling us about their work day and how they're getting on working towards their bonus target each day in a diary format. You may well be right, there may be no 'rule' against people posting their employment diaries on here, but it truly does not seem to fit the nature of the board.
    It is fine on this board, it isn't a discussion (though we have diverted it so apologies OP) but a diary of progress. If this thing becomes popular and suddenly the board is inundated with lots of diaries I'm sure a sub board would be created similar to the debt free diaries.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    13K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be more sensible to post this on the eBay board, as in future OP's experiences could be helpful for eBayers
  • DoxDox Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azzzaa said:
    So here it is, I want to document my transition between leaving my full time position as a personal assistant to a full time, self employed business owner. 

Maybe a free-standing blog somewhere would be a better idea - and get your some publicity for your fledgling business?
  • Emmaaar22Emmaaar22 Forumite
    638 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Can`t wait to follow your story Azzzaa.
    I myself have just left my job to become a full time reseller and like yourself I`ve been doing it on the side alongside my job. I sell mostly on Depop and Vinted though, Can`t seem to get anywhere on Ebay, FB Marketplace was once a great place for me to sell but that`s gone downhill for me now too though.
    Unfortanely, I don`t have any wholesalers or anything to buy my stock from so it comes direct from Ebay - A lot of searching around etc to find bargains and I do pay it through Paypal credit, The Paypal credit is paid for by doing surveys, searching the web etc.
    Feel free to share any tips or hints to help me...(Would be very very very much appreciated)
    2017 Wins - Coco Pops, £100 Amazon voucher, Elf T-shirt, £250 Zalando Voucher and £250 FeelUnique Voucher, private gig concerts
    2018 Wins - Steep xbox game, 2 tangle teezer, Contagion Book, JC Annual, water sports bottle, 10p, 2 cricket tickets, can of fizz, 10p, Ribenia, Johnson baby products