»

Smets2 metres are thick metres too????

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Smets2 metres are thick metres too????

13 replies 361 views
nilantehnilanteh Forumite
3 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
I’ve  recently switched supplier from
Bulb to igloo. I had a new smets2 metre fitted last year and was under the impression that this meant I could switch and the metre would not become thick. 
However since switching my new supplier has not been able to take a gas reading. They say it is a problem connecting and is a industry wide issue. They have advised that I either need to climb into the cupboard to read my metre every month or switch back to the old supplier despite the cost difference. I thought the new metres were not meant to trap you in this situation which is why I agreed to get one. Are other people having this issue?

Replies

• The_Fat_ControllerThe_Fat_Controller Forumite
    305 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    It's a M E T E R
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    14.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    metre thick yes
    Did they say why your meter is not working bad signal ??
    Best to read your meter save getting shocking bills .
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are Igloo capable of reading ANY SMETS1/2 meters?? They have "paused" their rollout currently.
  • nilantehnilanteh Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    They’ve said it’s not just them but it’s an industry wide problem just for gas. The electric is being collected fine. I only got the thing because I was told they wouldn’t become thick the minute you moved but it seems that isn’t true
  • nilantehnilanteh Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    It's a M E T E R
    Helpful 🙄. Yes I used the incorrect version but if someone else made a mistake in their post I would have been nice. Still not everyone is nice 
  • SmodletSmodlet Forumite
    6.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imho, smart people do not rely on so-called "smart" technology; one should always read one's meters if only to ensure what the "smart" meters are sending is correct.  Then again, if you are content to rely on algobots and to abdicate control, that is your prerogative.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    G_M's stickies have come unstuck!
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Smodlet said:
    Imho, smart people do not rely on so-called "smart" technology
    Smart people have dumb meters !

6.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gerry1 said:
    Smodlet said:
    Imho, smart people do not rely on so-called "smart" technology
    Smart people have dumb meters !

I think we did this on the old forum, Gerry1.  How's it going?
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
  • edited 26 February at 7:58PM
    Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February at 7:58PM
    No-one's required smart meters or even mentioned them !
    Switched electricity to Neon Reef despite concerns that it's Utility Point in disguise, but all good so far.  Switched gas to Gulf. 
    Significantly cheaper Gulf tariff came out before the switch became effective, managed to switch within Gulf without penalty.
    Favourably impressed that Gulf suggested lowering my DD payment.  Latest Gulf gas tariff is more expensive so I changed at the right time !  Refund of credit came through from Yorkshire very promptly, so I can recommend Avro, Yorkshire, Neon Reef and Gulf to anyone who may be hesitant about leaving the big boys.
    Don't think much of the clunky new forum website, lots of functionality has been lost.  Presumably it has greater capacity, but there are no visible improvements for users.
    6.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have never heard of most of those suppliers but hey, ho:  When the WHD is a factor, it tends to be a case of sticking with the devils most of us know so the CEC is as good a comparison site as any and better than most.

I remain in your debt for all your sage advice, Gerry 1.  Thank you.