Missing tooth options on NHS

Kev_Kev_ Forumite
1 Post
MoneySaving Newbie
In July 2019 part of my tooth broke off. It turns out I had to have my root canal treatment done and I paid the £270 to have a gold inlay put in.

2 weeks ago the gold inlay came out after only being put in 7 months ago. I went back to the dentist and they simply drilled part of my teeth and put the same golden inlay back in. They charged me the £21 to put it back in (which shouldn’t have been covered by the 12 month NHS guarantee)

2 days later the remaining tooth broke off and the gold inlay came off! I don’t known if it was a result of their drilling or what! Since the golden inlay couldn't be put back in, the dentist put a root filling in and tried to charge me £60 for it so I argued and showed them the 12 month guarantee. They made up that the system automatically picked up the charge but I told them when i came in 2 weeks ago I had the guarantee.

Anyways, now I have a missing tooth and don’t know my options. I don’t trust my dentist when he said the root filling will stop the surrounding teeth from growing outwards and that the only alternative is to have a £2000 dental implant. I know the NHS can put bridges ( I think the 12 month band 3 guarantee applies to bridges) but i don’t know if it is possible.

I need some advise on if root fillings is a permanent solution for a missing tooth?

Replies

• ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    No-one could even begin to guess whether or not this treatment would be suitable for you without actually having you in front of them in the dental chair. It completely depends on which tooth it is, the state of that tooth, the state of the teeth around it, and what your expectations are.

Firstly - I'm assuming that by a 'missing tooth' you are meaning the top bit has broken off. You can't root fill a tooth if there is no root there to fill. Secondly, if that is the case, then the root filling is just a preparation of the foundations. Into that root filled tooth, you would then build up something that would support a new crown.

Is it a permanent solution? No. No dentistry can be considered as permanent.
    The only thing that has a chance of lasting you all your life is a tooth that a dentist has never had to touch. If you look after your teeth, they have every chance of being 'permanent'. Once a tooth needs a repair, that repair will have a life span, and when that repair fails, then the next repair will be a bit bigger, and have a shorter life span - and so on right up to the loss of the tooth.

The smaller, and better each repair is done, then the better the lifespan of that fix, and the more 'bites of the cherry' you will get. Also, the better you look after your mouth, and the less silly you are with things you eat and the way you eat them, the better chance the dentistry will have.

When you're up into the realms of big fillings, root fillings and post crowns though - you really are into territory where you're delaying the loss of the tooth, rather than 'fixing' it.

Your fundamental requirement is a dentist you trust though. If you don't have that - then you will always be questioning, and making decisions based on poor information and prejudice (How can you make a proper decision if you're not believing the advice you're getting?) 
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • edited 26 February 2020 at 4:12PM
    Allie26Allie26 Forumite
    8 Posts
    Third Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 February 2020 at 4:12PM
    Sorry posted in wrong place
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants