Is there anyway to get our money back

29 replies 1.8K views
13»

Replies

• born_againborn_again Forumite
    3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    From the company response- interesting that they think it’s normal for people to buy clothes with a security tag and not be able to return if it’s been removed- pretty sure that covers all my purchases as usually the shop removes the tags at the till and never had an online order delivered with tags on
    You would expect returning any cloths with a security tag on, to be given the 3rd degree as to why... As it will most likely be stolen..
  • edited 28 February at 5:54PM
    Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 February at 5:54PM
    From the company response- interesting that they think it’s normal for people to buy clothes with a security tag and not be able to return if it’s been removed- pretty sure that covers all my purchases as usually the shop removes the tags at the till and never had an online order delivered with tags on
    I've just come back to this thread and that's exactly what I was thinking.  When you buy clothes in a shop, the shop removes the security tag after you've paid for it.  If you try to return it with the tag still on, that would tend to suggest you may not have paid for it.  What the jewellers are saying is exactly the opposite!  They want you to keep the tag on...as evidence of what?

I don't understand the difference between refunding and exchanging.  What's the tag got to do with it?  (Am I missing something?)

EDIT:  I presume the tag is to prevent you from wearing it before taking it off.  But so what?  Taking it off and wearing it doesn't stop you from discovering a fault later.  And it doesn't stop it breaking because of a pre-existing fault.

• Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP - why is your son-in-law unhappy with the exchange replacement?  Is it not the same as the original?  He seems to have agreed/accepted it, and then said he doesn't want it?
  • hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hollydays said:
    hollydays said:
    Did he not send them a photo with the email immediately which would have shown there was no security tag?Or film the unboxing? I'm guessing that trying to remove a security tag could cause a chain to break? Do they think this is a possibility?
    OP could you reply to this question.
    Yes, he’s sent all photos to them apart from the video of opening it. The tag, if it had of been on the chain would be on the clasp but the broken link is way down the chain so no where near where a tag would have been removed. Like stated no tag was attached so nothing to remove or break the chain.  When he opened the box the broken piece was just sat alongside the chain. 
    If they saw the tag had wasn't there , why did they offer an exchange?
  • edited 28 February at 6:55PM
    john_k_nijohn_k_ni Forumite
    10 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 28 February at 6:55PM
  • edited 29 February at 2:36PM
    john_k_nijohn_k_ni Forumite
    10 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 29 February at 2:36PM
    You would expect returning any cloths with a security tag on, to be given the 3rd degree as to why... As it will most likely be stolen..
    I have just recently bought a bracelet from them jewellers, and the bracelet arrived with a cotton tag, with their logo on it, which I had already read about in their terms and conditions. It seems that by security tag they refer to a tag. So to get hung up on the tag is not the issue. As I am reading through this thread I see many holes in the story. First of how can someone who paid all this money on a chain, accept a £30 repair in the first place. I don't believe he received a broken chain, but by pulling the little tag or unboxing it he broke the chain and then accepted a repair. Then he asked a replacement, they sent it and then he changed his mind, and on top of that he goes on labelling a big company. That is not something you easily get away with btw if this goes to court. I bought a windows disc once from Ebuyer and I tried to return within the return policy. They sent it back to me and refused the return due to me opening the sleeve and breaking the seal. Just saying, you might wanna get your story right before dropping names and to be fair, these guys have pretty good reviews everywhere, and their reply seems pretty legit.
  • George_MichaelGeorge_Michael Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    john_k_ni said:
     I bought a windows disc once from Ebuyer and I tried to return within the return policy. They sent it back to me and refused the return due to me opening the sleeve and breaking the seal. These guys are a huge online retailer which might suggest that legally they can refuse a return based on a seal or tag if it's in their tc. 
    If you did break a seal on opening the disc then what Ebuyer did is totally legal as this is allowed under the Consumer Contracts regulations.
    Even if something is stated in T&C's, simply removing a tag or breaking a seal doesn't normally revoke your right of return unless the item is one which can't be returned due to health or hygiene reasons, such as earrings for pierced ears or it is sealed software or audio/video recordings.
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just come back to this thread and that's exactly what I was thinking.  When you buy clothes in a shop, the shop removes the security tag after you've paid for it.  If you try to return it with the tag still on, that would tend to suggest you may not have paid for it.  What the jewellers are saying is exactly the opposite!  They want you to keep the tag on...as evidence of what?

I don't understand the difference between refunding and exchanging.  What's the tag got to do with it?  (Am I missing something?)

EDIT:  I presume the tag is to prevent you from wearing it before taking it off.  But so what?  Taking it off and wearing it doesn't stop you from discovering a fault later.  And it doesn't stop it breaking because of a pre-existing fault.

Seems more to discourage wearing the item for an event and returning for a refund.
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they mean security tag as in the ones you can't remove, I think they mean the card tags.  They are selling high value items, there are people who  buy expensive jewellery and clothing, wear them once for a special occasion, then try to return them.  
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear