»

Victoria Plum not amending credit agreement to pay refund-Help

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Victoria Plum not amending credit agreement to pay refund-Help

5 replies 171 views
Filbert06Filbert06 Forumite
2 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Sorry this will be long, but want to out everything in so as not to drip feed.

In March 2018 I bought £4000 worth of bathroom items from Victoria Plum online and paid using their 0% finance agreement through Barclays Partner Finance over 24 months.

When the items were delivered the tiles that I had ordered (£179 worth) were not as described so I contacted them straight away and said I wanted to return them. They agreed to this and arranged for them to be collected, which they did. They said that they would take the amount off the finance agreement so that there was less to pay. I thought this was the end of the matter.

In January 2019, I recieved a statement from Barclays Partner Finance saying that what the remaining balance was, and Victoria Plum had not taken the £179 off. I contacted Victoria Plum and they apologised and said that the finance department would arrange for the £179 to be taken off the finance agreement. I thought end of matter again.

Come January 2020 and again Barclays Partner Finance send me a statement to say my final payment will be February 2020, again Victoria Plum have not altered the agreement so the £179 has still not been taken off or refunded to me.

Since January 2020 and today 25th February 2020, I have contacted Victoria Plum numerous times to explain the situation and request my refund, each time they apologise and say that this will be sorted, each time nothing happens. I eventually spoke to someone promising 3 weeks ago who said that they will do a BACS payment of £179 to my account, I provided my details and still nothing.

I have contacted them 3 more times since then to be told the same thing, that it is being processed. On 22nd February 2020, I spoke to a manager and I said I wanted to make a formal complaint and compensation. He said he would add £20 on to my refund and that this would be sorted on 24th February 2020 and would get someone to call me on the same day.

Again I have been let down and this has not happened. I have contacted them again today, to be told it will be sorted again. I said I am not happy with £20 compensation and that I will be making a formal complaint in writing, but that I would still like the payment to be made asap.

What are my rights taking this forward as a complaint? I have spent so much time and effort trying to sort this recently and I am not happy with only £20 extra for something that should have been sorted 2 years ago. Thanks.

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    14.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much are you looking for £40   £4000  .
  • unholyangelunholyangel Forumite
    14.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried speaking to the finance company? 
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
  • Filbert06Filbert06 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    My credit agreement with the finance company has now ended as the final payment has been taken.

I feel like they just keep fobbing me off and hoping I will go away. I'm trying to put in a formal written complaint but need some help about what legislation I can use to back up my complaint. 
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The ending of the finance agreement doesn't (I think) end the finance company's Section 75 liabilities.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
  • unholyangelunholyangel Forumite
    14.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DoaM said:
    The ending of the finance agreement doesn't (I think) end the finance company's Section 75 liabilities.
    Correct. I'm not 100% on whether s75 would apply (would depend on what exactly the contract was) but at the very least, they are the provider of the credit and the OP didn't need that much credit. 

Its also a lot easier to get a finance company to play ball. Due to them needing to be regulated by FCA & the FCA's requirement for them to have a certain complaints process, including the customer referring it to the financial ombudsman if they disagree with the lenders decision. 
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.