Turkey ATMs

Options
So I am to go to Istanbul in May and I am just gettig ready my Liras.
I have converted my £ into Liras on my revolut app and I am now looking to withdraw some of it as cash.
The last time I went to Istanbul, I remember 99% of the ATMs charged a fee to withdraw the money except for one (I don't know why online many people say Turkish ATMs are free) . 
I can go searching that 1 ATM I found that didn't charge a fee to withdraw, however ideally I would like some cash prior to landing. 
My question is, with the Turkish bank 'Isbank' in London, would I be able to withdraw Liras from the ATM with my revolut? 
Thank you

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 February 2020 at 2:13AM
    Options
    No way.

There will be ATMs at your arrival airport.

If they try to offer you conversion and show an exchange rate (DCC), make sure you decline it.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was in Istanbul in December and I think that most ATMs charged around 2%.
    One way to avoid this is just to use your Revolut card as a debit card as much as possible. Contactless is widely used.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I used AKBANK in Turkey and there was no fee. There was the usual rip-off DCC offer, but just declined this and no fee. This was last year, and not in Istanbul, so things might be different now/there.
  • Rony
    Rony Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 February 2020 at 12:00PM
    Options
    eDicky said:
    No way.

If they try to offer you conversion and show an exchange rate (DCC), make sure you decline it.
    I already mentioned in my post that most ATMs that I have found charge a commission (I'm not referring to DCC), this includes those at the airport. 
    Doshwaster said:
    One way to avoid this is just to use your Revolut card as a debit card as much as possible. Contactless is widely used.
    Ideally that would be the way. And that is what I am planning to do. However I need some cash for those odd occasions that I need cash.
    zagfles said:
    I used AKBANK in Turkey and there was no fee. There was the usual rip-off DCC offer, but just declined this and no fee. This was last year, and not in Istanbul, so things might be different now/there.
    Thank you, I will look out for AKBANK when I am there.

Thank you all for you replies, however no one really answered my question, being whether I can withdraw Lira from a Turkish Bank using a different provider (Revolut) in London. I am probably just going to go test it out by going there.

Thanks,
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Options
    Rony said:
    eDicky said:
    No way.

I already mentioned in my post that most ATMs that I have found charge a commission (I'm not referring to DCC), this includes those at the airport. 
    Doshwaster said:
    Ideally that would be the way. And that is what I am planning to do. However I need some cash for those odd occasions that I need cash.
    zagfles said:
    Thank you, I will look out for AKBANK when I am there.

Thank you all for you replies, however no one really answered my question, being whether I can withdraw Lira from a Turkish Bank using a different provider (Revolut) in London. I am probably just going to go test it out by going there.

Thanks,
    The first reply answered that question with their first two words...
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A bit off topic but, as a regular traveller to Turkey, I'm pleased that no visas will be required from next week. :smile:
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rony said:
    Even if it was possible (which I doubt), would the time and effort  be worth the small charge that an ATM in Turkey would take? Withdraw £100 for incidentals and you are talking about a £2-3 fee.
  • Rony
    Rony Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 February 2020 at 6:44PM
    Options
    Takmon said:
    It was a bit ambiguous which part of my post the "No way" was referring to. But because the poster then subsequently went on to talk about the ATMs in turkey, I presumed he was referencing my saying that 99% of them charge a fee. I may have misunderstood then.
    Doshwaster said:

Even if it was possible (which I doubt), would the time and effort  be worth the small charge that an ATM in Turkey would take? Withdraw £100 for incidentals and you are talking about a £2-3 fee.
    I pass it on the way home every day so it isn't too much time and effort!
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    Options
    Rony said:
    Takmon said:
    It was a bit ambiguous which part of my post the "No way" was referring to. But because the poster then subsequently went on to talk about the ATMs in turkey, I presumed he was referencing my saying that 99% of them charge a fee. I may have misunderstood then.
    Doshwaster said:

I pass it on the way home every day so it isn't too much time and effort!
    I saw only one actual question in your opening post, to which my 'no way' response was directed, sorry if that wasn't clear. My comments about ATMs in Turkey was to suggest the alternative.

By all means stop by the bank on your way home to check - if their ATM dispenses cash Turkish lira in London I'll eat my hat.

Also be careful about putting your Revolut card in any ATM in the UK that dispenses a currency other than pounds, to avoid any double or triple conversion surprise.
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport